(I gotta get a word in here befor P_L beats me to it, hehehe...)

I bought a Svea 123 in 1972 - probably from EMS, but perhaps REI - and I'm still ticked at my brother for selling it a few years ago... I loved that little stove and took it places it was never designed to go.

BUT

It's white gas only. US Theaters are usually single fuel - Jet Fuel. It runs just great in diesel engines, helicopters, USAF aircraft, etc... Sure, you can scrounge whatever, and I have, but the intent and effect is to reduce logistical complications. A Svea will not burn JP for beans. You would have to custom machine a jet with a smaller orifice. On an MSR XGK, you change to the "K" jet... (Kerosene jet).

The Svea sucks in cold weather. Before you protest, let me tell you that I used mine in the interior of Alaska for years; the coldest part of North America; in the winter time. I had a little plywood plate that I made that clipped onto the seam of the fuel tank and a scrap of ensolite and windscreens and I did an Optimus conversion (replaced fuel cap with one that mated to an aluminum syringe-like pump to let me put some pressure in the fuel tank) and... well, I know all the tricks about using a Svea in cold weather and probably a few of my own.

And I was so estatic when I got my MSR XGK. And later, for other purposes, a Coleman Peak I (so original that even Coleman doesn't carry the exact parts for mine anymore)... and there are other stoves between then and now, all of which I still have and use. Except for the Svea.

Like I said, I'm still ticked at my brother for selling the little brass guy. I was looking forward to giving it to one of my sons. As long as white gas is available, your water heating needs are modest, and the temps aren't too close to 0-deg F, it's a beaut. (and not too much wind). And I found that it is best used as a PERSONAL stove - add a second person and things can really slow down unless it's calm and not too cold out.

Glad you like your Svea - they are as elegant as you claim, IMO. Totally cool. But not a good stove for the poster who posed the question, just on the multi-fuel issue alone.

Fire away... <grin>

Tom