Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#34319 - 11/18/04 05:04 PM Buck Knives Customer and Company Orientated
qrtermoon Offline

Loc: South Central PA
A couple of months ago, I was looking for an affordable small fixed blade to carry while hiking, hunting, camping, or even EDC. I seen a Buck Diamondback 3.25 at a local Sporting Goods Dept. chain. It was priced around $20. I carry Buck all the time and have since I was a kid. I got home, took it out of the package and was checking it out, liking the way it looked, felt and then it happened. I turned it over and stamped on the blade was "Made in Taiwan". I couldn't beleive it! An American company like Buck was putting out imported knives??? I was really upset by this. So I did something I don't do. I sat down and wrote Buck a letter telling them I was surprised that they did this, that I was a long time customer, but would seriously consider a different knife manufacturer next time. I faxed it to the number on the web site and didn't really expect to hear back. About 3 weeks later I got a letter in the mail from Buck. It was written by Charles Buck, Grandson of Hoyt Buck, founder. He explained that they do out soucre approx 30% of their knives to have a lower end product line. He said that even though people say that price isn't a problem to buy American that when it comes time to buy that doesn't hold true. He was very nice in the letter. He also enclosed a small catalog and personally marked all the US knives. He them highlighted all the knives in the price range of the fixed blade I purchased and told me to contact his secratary, (gave mne her name and direct number) and she would take care of sending me any knife I chose of the highlighted selection. My new folder made in the USA arrived via UPS last week. I was impressed to get the personal attention. Charles Buck is a good rep for the comapany and is obviously just trying to keep his company rolling along. Maybe I wouldn't have been upset if somewhere it said "imported" on the packaging. Just a heads up for us consumers. As it is, I will still continue to use Buck products. Charles BUck made an impression on me.

#34320 - 11/18/04 05:24 PM Re: Buck Knives Customer and Company Orientated
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's been a long while since I carried or bought a Buck knife, but...

Way back in the age of dinosaurs, maybe 1973?, I went into a sports store, and they had a little 1-page brochure of Buck knives. It had a brand-new model, the "Frontiersman", like the "Nemo" but with a an aluminum guard and pommel (instead of stainless) and a clip-point (Bowie-style) blade. I had carried the "General" on a lot of the AT at that point and liked it, so I had the sports store order the "Frontiersman" for me. I had to pay in advance.

When it showed up, the blade looked nothing like the brochure- there was a little bevel on the back edge toward the point, but no clip at all. I tried to refuse it, saying it wasn't what I ordered, but the sports store (which I never bought from again) refused to return it or my money, telling me to take it up with the Buck factory.

I sent the knife back to the factory with a letter. Some time later I got a call from the folks there (two guys named Buck, I think one was Frank) asking me for details about the problem- apparently they hadn't seen the brochure photo and didn't understand. I tried to explain, then sent them the copy of the brochure.

They sent the knife back, re-ground to match the photo. Very nice job, too.

The next time I saw the brochure, it had been re-printed with a new photo of the Frontiersman, that looked like the knife I received (just like the Nemo).

I still have that knife- unfortunately, there was no letter with it, and I sent the brochure back to Buck, so I can't "prove" any of it.

Not too many years later, I had big chunks come out of the edge of a Buck 110 folder while using it to shape a piece of soft white pine, and I lost faith in them. Probably just a bad batch, but there's nothing like a knife breaking for no good reason to change your brand loyalty.

Still, the concern for the customer was apparent, and I'm glad to hear it's still there.

#34321 - 11/18/04 11:02 PM Re: Buck Knives Customer and Company Orientated
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
That is nice to hear, I love when knife companies (or any company really) stand by their product. Two other companies I have found to have real great people working there are Benchmade and Leatherman. Benchmade both Les and Angie (the owner and head of customer service) are really nice people who will go out of their way to help.
Tim Leatherman is a great guy too. When I reached Eagle scout it is common practice for the troop to send out letters to different companies and famous people asking for letters of congratulations to present to the new Eagle scout at his court of honor. Well, he not only sent a nice letter, but a brand new Leatherman Wave with the Leather sheath. I am extremely impressed he would do such a thing, I mean that isn't exactly a cheap tool. Now I don't mind giving Leatherman my buisness. I have almost all the classic tools, 2 juices, both squirts, a Charge, and have given quite a few as gifts. I don't mind helping out companies run by such great people.

#34322 - 11/19/04 01:07 AM Re: Buck Knives Customer and Company Orientated
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Since we are talking about knive companies and customer service I will second the vote on Benchmade and also add in SOG. I have have excellent experiences with both companies in the past year.

#34323 - 11/20/04 05:36 PM Re: Buck Knives Customer and Company Orientated
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
Good to hear you had good customer service. I have had similar experiences with Bark River Knife and Tool. ALL of their knives are U.S. made, and are exceptional blades. Great company and even better people. I had a problem with my first knife I bought of theirs. Didn't buy it from them or one of their "authorized retailers", but they honored their lifetime waranty, and went above and beyond with replacing my knife with a new one and they made some modifications I asked for. Mike Stewart and the BRK&T Company are top notched.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/18/24 07:12 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.