#3336 - 01/08/02 06:36 AM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you have a source for the rods?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tristan

#3337 - 01/08/02 08:32 AM Re: Easily Worn Cordage
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I haven't tried this yet myself, but check this site out, it might be the answer to our problems...<br><br>http://www.slatts.freeserve.co.uk/slatts-knot.htm

#3338 - 01/08/02 08:54 AM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hthomp,<br><br>You could try a good two part epoxy as well. That stuff will stand up to lots of abuse. It's just a little messy and takes some practice to mix right.<br>Much much better than super glue.<br><br><br><br>

#3339 - 01/08/02 03:05 PM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Charles Houtchens, 915 NE 65th ST., Vancouver, WA 98665 carries the rods. (360) 695-8561 Proverbs 21: 19

PROVERBS 21:19

#3340 - 01/08/02 05:51 PM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tristan --<br><br> Good post!<br><br> While I also have a "serious" PSK in a BCB tin with most/all of the items I'd want if lost in the woods, I would have that with me only in an "off road" sort of environment.<br><br> Since 99% of my time is spent within an urban/suburban environment, I also wanted to Be Prepared for more likely scenarios in an everyday environment -- places where I couldn't reasonably expect to need survival fishing gear, etc. <br><br> Since I ALWAYS have my keychain on me, it made sense to use it in much the same way you do. In addition to keys, on it I have:<br><br>-- Swisstech tool (foldup pliers, wire stripper, regular & Phillips screwdriver)<br>-- CMG Infinity LED flashlight (I like the durability and 40 hours battery life, but might consider changing to an Arc Light AAA for smaller size/brighter illumination) It also hangs outside my pocket and keeps the keys, etc. from abrading pockets.<br> -Fox mini-40 whistle, cut down as per Doug's idea (you can do it with a sharp knife, smooth it with a nail file)<br> -Swiss Army "Executive" (small blade, file, tweezers, toothpick) Probably worth it just for the toothpick!<br><br> In an urban environment, I can illuminate it, cut it, or tighten it. Those are the true everyday necessities.<br><br> Then I found a Dr Scholl's blister treatment fourpack at the drug store. A couple of the blister pads went into larger first aid kits, but the container is a jewel. 3" X 3 1/4" square, 1/2" thick, durable blue plastic, and it's curved to fit your leg or butt for pocket carry. In it I have:<br>--Xacto knife blade protected with tape (backup sharp)<br>--button compass (even in an urban environment, have you ever asked yourself if you're going the right way on a new street?)<br>--mini first aid: <br> for wounds: (2) 1", (1) 3/4" Bandaids, Povidone-Iodine wipe.<br> mini-meds package: 4 ibuprofen, 2 Benadryl for beesting allergy, 2 Extra strength Tylenol. To save even more space, I took the pills out of their packaging and into truly tiny packaging made from plastic snack bags cut down to size and sealed with a "Euro-Sealer" bag sealer. The pills are clearly marked even sans packaging.<br>--mini sewing kit from a hotel, plus a few more safety pins & a needle threader for my elderly eyes<br>--14" of duct tape, folded onto non-stick label stock<br>--a mini lighter (may replace with a "metal match" bagged as above to retard evaporation of the lighter fluid. Will test and report.)<br>--a sparklite tinder<br>--a red Photon II for backup, map reading, etc.<br>--plastic Fresnel lens<br><br> The Dr Scholl's unit is obviously full; I seal it with a couple tabs of electrical tape at the front, and put a couple of rubber bands around it to keep it sealed (and use the rubber bands as needed.) <br><br> They keychain kit covers most urban daily needs; the pocket pack contents aren't needed everyday, but are nice to have when needed. Just having it in my pocket helps remind me of the virtues of planning ahead.<br><br> I've also upgraded a commercial first aid kit that lives in the trunk of my car, with a tilt towards wound management. Whether it's a road accident or a softball scrape, my car's not usually too far away.<br><br> BTW, for "off road" outings, I'd take the "full" BCB tin PSK, and I have a separate zipper bag (about the same size as the tobacco tin) for first aid materials, separated into wound management and medications. Both would be part of a day pack or overnight pack.<br><br> For travel, I have a separate travel keychain to take on planes, with all the usual stuff (whistle. Photon, Swisstool, plus a zipper pull compass/thermometer. It has a snap release for a separate ring that carries a Swiss Army "Rucksack" model (which I like) that rides in checked luggage. Also in checked luggage is a pretty comprehensive travel first aid kit I put together, using a lot of input from Doug Ritter's small kits, and starting with the Adventure Medical "Voyager" kit. A separate Zip , labelled "Carryon," has the sort of personal items/first aid you might need in an airport or plane: aspirin, Sudafed, skin lotion, earplugs, bandaids, a blister pad, wipes, lip balm, floss.<br><br>I always travel with a utility kit in a HD Ziploc containing a plastic coffee can lid (plate), knife-fork-spoon kit from Magellan's, a couple of extra HD Zips, garbage bags, corkscrew, duct tape, extra bandana and hand wipes. I find it handy for roadside picnics, street food, hotel snacks, etc.<br><br>Sounds like a lot of different stuff to keep track of, but I find it separates logically into <br>-what I always have in my daily pocket<br>-what I always have in my car trunk<br>-what I have in a carry on bag<br>-what I have in checked luggage<br>-what I take 'off road'<br><br>It's fun making up the kits and exercising the brain a bit; the first aid kits in their various forms make a lot of sense to me to have the right stuff there when you want it (and most items come "many to a box", so it's just a question of mix and match to make up different kits.) I don't see any logic in carrying a really major medical bag everywhere, nor do I want to raid my pocket carry or PSK and have to repack everything unless it's necessary.<br><br> Last but not leas, be awaret: the airlines don't tell you there's been a change, but ever since that moron tried to light his tennis shoe, they may take away your pocket lighter. I was singled out for a random check and they kept my nice new piezo-electric. Better plan on checking that nice new Windmill and carry matches instead. (Can you light a tennis shoe with matches, or does it take a lighter?)<br><br> It's a pleasure reading the posts here and exchanging ideas. Seems like the ol' Boy Scout motto lives on many of us . . .<br><br> -- Karl

#3341 - 01/17/02 09:07 AM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I have always enjoyed DR's site...........<br><br> I was given a little space by Sit-rep.com to try my hand at sharing what I know and have tried with regards to my PSK's that I have carried for 26 years of military service.......<br><br>If I'm outta bounds here DR by linking to my verbage please let me know. I haven't added much to it since last fall............<br><br>Critic's welcomed and encouraged.......I'm here to learn first and share second.<br><br><br>http://sit-rep.com/staffwriters.asp?files=squantos<br><br>Stay Safe !

#3342 - 01/17/02 03:33 PM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Your PSK list includes:<br><br> "LIFE BOAT MATCHES<br>4 each, store in small plastic vial. Also put the matches end down in the vial and place a small piece of emery cloth 60 grit into the cap of the vial as a striker. "<br><br>Have you in fact used this emery cloth to light the matches? The matches do not light off as a result of friction in my experience, like a strike anywhere match, rather they are a safety match that requires a chemical reaction to occur.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#3343 - 01/17/02 07:58 PM Re: Minimal Pocket Survival Gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe emory cloth is the wrong word, I just wanted to reproduce the material that is on the top of the Life Boat match container. I have lit them with the fine emory and the reason I suggested such was just in case a suitable surface was not available .......<br><br>Also I need to correct my reference to Condy's crystals as Kno2 as that is incorrect on my part .....sorry. I have the purple potassium permaganate that I used in the PI to disenfect and clean fruits and vegies etc etc which my SERE instructors said was a good topical anti-septic also in condensed forms.....<br><br>of course in a survival situation I wanted something that would do multiple things so the crystals with a potential of fire, water treatment, and topical medication was my choice there.<br><br>Comments and correction please...........<br><br>Stay Safe !

#3344 - 01/25/02 11:49 AM Re: Easily Worn Cordage
jet Offline
Enthusiast

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I paused in writing this long enough to run to my closet and relace all of my footwear. I took the laces out of one of each of my pairs of shoes & boots and laced it into the already laced matching shoe or boot. It works. With all of the footwear I own, I can thread the holes or eyelets with two laces of the same kind as I am using in them now. I have casual leather shoes, work boots, hiking boots, combat boots, running shoes and dress shoes... each with a different kind of lace (round or flat, thick or thin, leather strips or spun material of some sort, waxed or not). It's a variety, and they all worked.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I wanted to follow up on this a bit.<br><br>I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, perhaps elsewhere, that flat shoelaces & bootlaces held a knot better than round ones. My recent experiences with a number of different types & lengths of laces certainly bears this out. I feel the knots are much more secure with flat laces than round ones. In fact, I have found that flat ones are easier to work with in every way (loosening, unloosening, tying, untying, keeping laces even with each other & keeping lace ends even with themselves) than round ones. This is true in every piece of footwear I own, yet replacing the round laces in my combat boots with flat ones seems... well, wrong, somehow (just from an emotional standpoint ).<br><br>Question: Does anyone know if round laces are stronger than flat ones? Is there a reason why round laces are used at times instead of flat ones? Is it just because they look nice and dressy? Or is there something more practical... something that might bear on the choice of which lace to select for possible use as emergency cordage?<br><br>Any knowledge or ideas at all would be appreciated.

#3345 - 01/26/02 01:36 AM Re: Easily Worn Cordage
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Jet,<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Question: Does anyone know if round laces are stronger than flat ones?<p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>I do not know, but as an educated guess... I think that if both are made from the same material. the one with the largest cross sectional area will be the strongest. Most of the time that would be the round lace. Having said that...in my experience, even flat cotton-jacketed shoe laces have been strong enough for lashing, tarping, etc.<br><br>Regular issue-type 72" round nylon boot laces are pretty darned strong. If the colors didn't bother you, I imagine you could substitute climbing accessory cord in an appropriate diameter (2-3mm?).<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 381 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.