Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#33354 - 10/20/04 04:58 AM Hyperbaric Chamber?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Years ago I saw a National Geographic type documentary about a group of Americans that traveled to China with the intention of being the first to raft the length of a famous river. Can't recall the name. The trip started high in the mountains and they were using some type of Zodiac style rafts. The group leader was a doctor and very well equipped to handle most medical emergencies.
During the course of the trip, one of the team members became ill with altitude sickness(?).
One of the things the doctor tried to do was to get him down the river to a lower altitude as quickly as possible along with giving him some type medications.
However, all of this was to no avail and they young man died. Since the group was miles and days away from any habitation, they buried him along side the river, filming their ceremony for the family. He was probably in his mid to late 20's.

Ever since seeing this documentary I have wondered if it might have been possible to save the young man by making a hyperbaric chamber from one of the rafts.
If cut properly with the ends rolled up once the indvidual was inside, providing the inflation points were positioned correctly, etc, I would think this makeshift chamber could have perhaps saved his life.
I realize that being inside a contraption like this is not the best of ideas, but I would like to believe that in this type of a life and death situation, it may have saved his life.
I have seen some type of units like this for mountain climbing on the market, made specifically for this type of illness, but at the time of this expedition, they were either not included or not yet invented.
So, my curiosity question for you medical types is, do you think this might have worked as a last resort?
I know there must be a lot of questions to be answered for any accuracy, but I have to believe it might have given him a fighting chance to survive.

What do you think?

#33355 - 10/20/04 05:48 PM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
I'm not a medical type but I'm an avid techincal scuba diver. I have come across portable hyperbaric chambers. If I have time I'll try to do a search an see if I can find a picture of one. If my memory serves me correct these chambers can be used for high altitude sickness. I've done a little mountaineering (nothing major and only a few times) and it would seem to me that a portable chamber would be at best marginally effective for someone with mild symptoms.

Also for diving related injuries pure O2 is really the only way you can help your body tissues to recover. So this type of chamber imo is almost useless.

Found a link

#33356 - 10/20/04 07:05 PM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
My understanding is that even a difference in altitude of a few hundred feet may make the difference for someone with altitude sickness, hence the urgent need to get them to a lower altitude as soon as symptoms appear. It would appear that, above 10,000 feet, a difference of air pressure of less than 1 psi would equate to an altitude change of over 1000 feet.

From 9000 feet to 10000 feet: 10.5 - 10.1 = .4 psi
From 10000 feet to 15000 feet: 10.1 - 8.29 = 1.81 psi

(http://www.sablesys.com/baro-altitude.html)

However, there is probably more to it than simply putting someone in an inflatable cylinder and pumping up the volume.

#33357 - 10/20/04 07:23 PM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland

#33358 - 10/20/04 08:22 PM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Adam

"Also for diving related injuries pure O2 is really the only way you can help your body tissues to recover."

Amen to that, had need of a chamber myself not too long ago, following a dive accident. Spent several hours in one, very sobering as the alternatives were death or paralyses.

#33359 - 10/21/04 03:26 AM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not believe they would come anywhere near viable for a diving related issue, as the pressure required for decompression would most likely be too great.

#33360 - 10/21/04 03:28 AM Re: Hyperbaric Chamber?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, Pete.
These were exactly what I had seen in an article on the subject.
I appreciate the links.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 326 Guests and 61 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.