Ok, seriously...

Well, when I first did this there were a couple of times I was self-conscious enough to put on footwear. I think every time I've done a barefoot hike I've carried either soft mocs or flip-flops in the pack or shoulder bag, partly because of obstacles (gravel roads, long paved areas) but mostly because of that one really big hazard- the men's room in the visitor's center.

Another advantage of going barefoot is that, because you're making so much less noise, you can also hear other things much better (those who haven't tried it won't believe any of this). It makes it much easier to hear other people coming on the trail, so you may have time to put something on your feet for the meeting if you want.

I vividly remember one such meeting... I heard a gaggle of loud girl-voices coming. They were driving a couple of deer in front of them, and the birds and squirrels all disappeared. I stepped about 20 yards off the trail and listened to them come, giggling and jabbering. It took them a long time to actually appear, the noise was carrying that far. When they got to where I could hear what they were saying, they were complaining that there were no animals in "these woods". I was in plain view, but just stood still. Not one of them, or the lady "guiding" them, ever saw me.

Curiously, I find people seem more disturbed if I'm going barefoot with long pants on than they do if I'm wearing shorts. I have no idea what that's about.. one of those strange social things, like the fact that crowds seem to give me LESS "personal space" when I'm wearing a hat.

I have a lot of mocassins, I've even made my own, but these days I generally pack one of the pairs I mail-ordered from Hillbilly Mocassins in Branson, MO. They make them up to order, so you can get a good fit, and, unusually, you can get SOFT mocs (their elk is the kind tanners call "orthopedic elk", and it's good) with NO hard sole and NO sole padding (tell them you don't want foam). This makes them pretty good (quiet) for wear on the trail or around camp, they attract no attention from people, and they pack flat and light when you decide to go barefoot. I also keep a pair in the car for long drives, as they are very comfortable once broken in. They will, of course, wear out quickly on pavement. I have one pair with buffalo-leather "canoe" soles that wear much better on pavement, but I don't like them nearly as well, they feel too much like shoes.