I've been really intrigued by that knife, though I haven't seen/handled it in person.

OK, my survival ignorance is going to show here, but...

I've been reading several forums lately while researching to purchase a good fixed blade knife. I already have the wonderfull RSK folder and like it a lot, but I would also like to have a good fixed blade too.

Why? Well, the primary use most likely won't be survival, it will be for messy food preparation while camping. I hate to get food guts, meat or fruit, inside the folder.

Given that I find myself in a survival situation, having a stronger fixed blade to backup my RSK, or via versa. I'm a big believer in having backups to key equipment (knives, fire starting, water collection/cleaning, shelter, navigation).

When I read survival forums (this and others) and web sites it seems the primary function of a survival knife is to chop down small trees - I suppose this is to build shelters (though Gilligan managed to create a peddle-car).

I've also read about using them to slice, but it not clear what they are supposed to slice. I did read something about slicing an onion (typical survival rations?). The Becker Crewman looks interesting - apparently great for cutting down small trees - but I wonder how it would do cutting apples, carrots, or potatoes or slicing meat for cooking (what I think of a slicing)? Oh, and I really worry about the carbon bladed knives rusting. While I do take care of my knives, I can't be sure I'll oil a blade within 24 hours of use.

I guess I figure just about any decent knife could cut a tree big enough to hold up a tarp. I'm not planning to build a log cabin (or a car). If I need to take down a tree, I'd rather use a saw. If I need to split wood, I found a great tool for that. Its about the size of a hatchet, but much much thicker. Think of a broad wedge on a handle. It works very well, but is too heavy for backpacking. To be honest, when camping I almost never split wood. Instead I find small dead branches small enough for the task. To me, splitting wood is for car camping or home use.