Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109130 - 10/19/07 11:51 AM Re: Geocaching [Re: Onedzguy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats something I'm going to try down the road when my kids get old enough, right now my 21 month old is just happy to get outside and run and fall.
Gives me an excuse to get a GPS too smile

#109215 - 10/19/07 08:24 PM Re: Geocaching [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Any Geocachers here?

I haven't personally haven't done any geocaching myself but it sounds like a great way to encourage children to get out into the great outdoors.

I not sure if geocaching is as popular as Orienteering in the UK at the moment, which itself is a great competative sport.

A great way to introduce navigational skills via a GPS in the same way using a map and compass is used in orienteering.

#109224 - 10/19/07 09:42 PM Re: Geocaching [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

Looks like there are currently 22,435 geocaches located in the UK alone!

THIS ONE looks like it would be fun to give a go.

#110428 - 10/29/07 02:45 AM Re: Geocaching [Re: Onedzguy]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I don't have a GPS, but one day about two years ago, I stumbled onto a geocache. It was a decorated, identified geocache made up of an old ammo box. On several different hikes, I went back to the general area where I had found it and re-found it several times.. I dropped odd items into it and logged in on the notebook. This winter the brush will likely be reduced and I may find it again. I'm surprised someone hasn't stolen the box by now, but it seems to hold some respect for those who have found it so far. I think it's pretty cool.

#110457 - 10/29/07 07:25 AM Re: Geocaching [Re: hiker1]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
Hiker1, Have you ever thought of getting a GPS unit?

#110493 - 10/29/07 01:48 PM Re: Geocaching [Re: ]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Tried out geocaching earlier this year and discovered it's a lot of fun. You can sign up for an account for free, and if you really like it they have a "premium membership" for $30/year. The advantage to paying is you can download files with the locations and put them on your GPS instead of programming in coordinates by hand. I was surprised to put in my local zip code and see all of the caches in the area. Apparently this is a popular hobby!

#110528 - 10/29/07 03:13 PM Re: Geocaching [Re: cedfire]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
When my wife and I started caching 5 years ago or so, it was still pretty new, and caches were fairly few, even back in MD. After taking a few years (and 2 kids) off, we are back at it again. It is hard to believe how many caches there are all over the place now. You don't even have to go out in the woods if you don't want to.

My 4 year old loves to go "treasure hunting". She gets a big kick out of finding treasure and swapping items. We always have to tell her to keep her voice down so the pirates don't come and steal the treasure. Our 6 week old comes along too, but doesn't seem as excited about it yet... Hmmm.

Greg

#110550 - 10/29/07 04:39 PM Re: Geocaching [Re: Greg_Sackett]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

There are a lot of people out there geocaching... and a lot who haven't a clue about it. The part that gets me is wondering how many other geocacher's I pass daily without knowing it... sort of a secret society if you will.

#110769 - 10/31/07 01:03 AM Re: Geocaching [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: cthompson01
Any Geocachers here? (See www.geocaching.com for info if you haven't heard of it)

I've been into caching for a few months now and started to place a few caches myself. I initially bought the gps for my hiking/backpacking but got turned on to this extra activity. It keeps me active, I've travelled up and down valleys and have checked out viewpoints I never would have before. It's also a semi-social activity as you interact with your buddies on a delayed basis or via a website but once in a while you can attend a social event where you finally get to meet fellow cachers and swap stories.

This is one of the few out-of-doors family activities out there so I think it's great on that basis alone. The fact that you have to use your imagination and intuition to find the actual cache is bonus - it keeps the "grey matter" upstairs working! Caching is rarely boring - we have a number of active local cachers that combine games, puzzles, multi-caches, virtual caches, the various features of your gps, and complex slight-of-hand to hide their locations.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.