>>>I can describe how to do this accurately with a small drill press (and one COULD do it with a hand-held drill IF one was very, very skilled).<<<<br><br>The trick would be to keep the bit centered and parallel to the surface so it doesn't break through. I have very little experience in this type of work, but I'd start with a very small diameter bit to drill a pilot hole. That would be easier to visually line up. You could then drop in a straight bit of wiire and view from the side to determine how sucessful you were. I have some left over wires for supporting insulation in ceiling joists. They are thin and rigid and about 16" long, which would extend the visual sight lineof the hole so you can see if it's centered all the way around. Then bore out the rest with a larger bit. The smaller shaft will keep the bigger bit centered. <br><br>I don't have dies or taps to create the threading, so I would consider finding a stainless steel set screw from the hardware store that has a slightly larger diameter than the interior shaft. The threads from the screw should be hard enough to "cut" threads in the soft aluminum of the handle.<br><br>BTW, if you do not intend to include it in your PSK, then I wouldn't shorten the shaft. Then you can drill a deeper hole and you won't have to shorten youe awl needles either.