The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3192 - 12/22/01 03:46 PM Blade holder in PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Interesting discussion recently about blades vs razor vs whatever in PSK. Last evening, in a collision of my too-many hobbies, I picked up a clone #2 X-acto knife for under $2 and made some modifications to it in about 15 minutes.<br><br>Chucked it in the lathe and cut it down to fit in an Altoids tin with the blade removed. It's still long enough to manage a secure grip in hard or delicate grip configs. I could easily make it shorter - for example, it would still be fairly useable at a length suitable for stowing cross-wise in the PSK BUT... read on...<br><br>I then bored out the butt end 21/64", leaving about a 0.010" bulkhead between the threaded bore in the head and the new recess. Then I threaded the new (butt end) recess 3/8- 24 NF for about 1/2" (that would be similar to 9mm x 1.0mm for a depth of 12mm for our metric friends). I can turn and thread the cut-off portion, but instead I'm going to pick up a suitable nylon bolt and o-ring at the hardware store today (actually, I may have them in one of my salvage bins).<br><br>This weekend I'll make an adapter for an Ez Awl needle, modify a hacksaw blade stub to fit (plus put an edge on the back of the hacksaw blade), cross-drill the bolt head for a small lanyard, and knurl a few places on the handle. Afterwards, I'll hit the whole thing with a coat of orange spray paint. I've been meaning to setup for anodizing, and if I make any more I'll anodize and dye them instead.<br><br>The handle will store sewing needles and an Ez Awl needle with room to spare - I may wrap several yards of thread around the needles. I could do a few additional mods to make it into a miniature Ez Awl, but am not interested - it will work fine the way I'm building it. I expect I'll have at most an hour's work total in it by the time I finish (which makes it expensive, I suppose).<br><br>It's pretty light-weight - the knurled steel sleeve at the nose is almost as heavy as the entire handle and collet. The cylindrical form factor is so-so but probably the best compromise in terms of bulk, stiffness, and useful interior volume. A #1 handle could be used instead (smaller blades and very little interior volume after boring out) and in fact I picked up one to modify in a similar fashion.<br><br>I'll post some specs and a few pics if anyone is interested.<br><br>There are a lot of additional uses this could be put to. For example, I can adapt a small diamond coated rod to fit. Any other ideas? I'm not sure this will earn a place in my PSK but it almost certainly is going into my regular repair kit - it will certainly displace my Ez awl, for one thing.<br><br>As I also have a mill and plenty of tooling for it, I am getting strange ideas running thru my mind when I gaze at all the lovely 7075-T9 and 6061-T6 scraps I keep "in stock"... but that's a heck of a lot more work (read: time). The "X-acto" knife handle conversion is so simple, I could teach a chimp how to do it in a few minutes. I am not a machinist and what little I know is self-taught with the help of the folks on another list, but this is simple. A lathe would not be needed to replicate this; I can describe how to do this accurately with a small drill press (and one COULD do it with a hand-held drill IF one was very, very skilled). Threading can be omitted; a plug can be made on the drill press or bought ready-made or whittled (not great for a lanyard, but there are other lanyard options). Knurling can be functionally replicated (if not pretty) by rolling on a board with heavy hand-pressure on a file or wood rasp.<br><br>Or one could skip the hollow handle. Cut-off the handle to desired length and most of the remaining handle can be slimmed down to a slab type cross section with a rasp or file. tape needles to handle and wrap with cord or thread - there are many alternatives.<br><br>Questions, commets, more ideas?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3193 - 12/22/01 04:04 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>Post pictures!!! Please. Very interested.<br><br>Andy

#3194 - 12/22/01 05:01 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Tom, <br><br>Interested.....? I'll send you my address, how about some overseas testing of your handiwork wink <br><br>If I just hear , I put it in the lathe.... I start drooling, I just wish I had a lathe as I did some work on it almost a decade ago making new firing pins for an obsolete pistol and turning some parts for an old Webly Airpistol.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#3195 - 12/22/01 07:26 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Bagherra,<br><br>LoL! I always wished I could have made time to take some shop classes... fast forward 30 years when I said to myself "Hey! I can afford to buy a lathe and a mill... why not learn on my own...?" So I did and I am. Sounds like you are already a skilled machinist in need of a machine to use...<br><br>Let me tinker a bit with this one and I'll either make one for you or hook you up with a countryman of yours who is on our machining forum. Metric bored and threaded for you, I assume? It's just as easy for me to make it metric, so it does not matter to me.<br><br>Aside to Andy - I'll post pics when I get done with the first one. If there is interest, I'll take some pics of how to do it with a drill press - everyone knows someone who has a drill press, I imagine.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3196 - 12/22/01 08:54 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Tom,<br><br>I'm absolutely no skilled machenist. I love target shooting and collect (old) Airpistols and sometimes got one of the older solid metal Webley Airpistols with pins etc. lost, broken etc.<br><br>An older gunsmith with hands like shovels knew me and offered some help and he learned me to work a little with a lathe. I still remember the first time I turned some thread onto the new chamber closure of an Webley Airpistol that I made and I disengaged the automatic feed instead of stopping it and reversing it while I had the cutting head turned back. I didn't understand why my threading looked like multiple spirals until he explaned it to me what I should do. I had to make another chamber plug but I will never forget what I should not do when turning a thread onto something ;)<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#3197 - 12/22/01 09:34 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br>Just wondering....what kind of lathe do you have? I've always wanted one. I've been looking at a Sheridan machine, one with a mill attachment; it looks like a good buy. It's very small, intended for small work, but I've never needed to do any large work and I have no room for a full size machine anyway. Do you know anything about them? I've gotten by so far with basic hand tools and a Dremel tool. Most of the stuff (with several spectacular failures, including one small house fire) I've done so far has worked, but everything has been uglier than homemade sin, and some of the projects I would like to do require a bit of precision (well beyond freehand Dremel tool tolerances). <br><br>Also, I'd appreciate an address for the machinist's forum you mentioned earlier. <br><br>Thank you and Happy Holidays,<br>Andy

#3198 - 12/23/01 03:36 AM Re: Blade holder in PSK
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Yes, please post pictures. Sounds like an interesting and quick project. <br>Andy, I don't know anything about the Sheridan machines, but if you are looking for small lathes you might want to look at these. Know poeple with both and they all like them.<br>http://www.taigtools.com/<br>http://www.sherline.com/<br>If you want to know more about machining, subscribe to the Home Shop Machinist. This site also has message boards and links to other sites.<br>Http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/<br>Another popular home machinist message board is at,<br>http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/machine_index.cgi<br>

#3199 - 12/23/01 04:26 AM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Ray,<br><br>Thank you!<br><br><br>Happy holidays,<br><br>Andy

#3200 - 12/23/01 08:16 AM A few pics and weights (mass)
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

The darned EzAwl needles are longer than I remembered, so I had to modify on the fly. One consequence was that I used the scrap of cut-off handle as material to make a hollowed, knurled cap. Not much room for me to slip a lanyard in the cap now, but it's possible.<br><br>Added info: Tossed these on the balance. The blade collet and collet sleeve are not altered - "factory weight". Cap and body are machined from original handle.<br><br>Cap - Aluminum, 24 grains (1.6 grams)<br>Body - Aluminum, 112 grains (7.3 grams)<br>collet - Aluminum, 41 grains (2.7 grams)<br>sleeve - Steel, 87 grains (5.6 grams)<br>saw blade - steel, 63 grains (4.1 grams)<br>guard - Aluminum, 14 grains (0.9 grams)<br><br>Total - 341 grains or 0.78 ounces Av. (22.1 grams)<br><br>As I said, fairly lightweight. I imagine that two blades and the needles will bring total weight to about one ounce (28.3 grams) or a little less - I will post final weight later. TGA<br><br>Here are a few pics for now - these should give the general idea of where it's heading:<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>The knurling on the body is so-so for looks - I did not want to crimp down too hard and alter the inside diameter of the body. The knurling on the cap is full-depth.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

Edited by AyersTG (12/23/01 09:17 PM)

#3201 - 12/23/01 02:24 PM Re: A few pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

*bows, forhead scrapping carpet*<br><br>You have way more skill with metal than I. Like Chris, maybe you should contemplate marketting this idea. It would be a patentantable thing, I think, then just a matter of finding someone to make them, and raking in your three cents per unit royalty. <br><br>I know I'd buy a "few".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 608 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.