As previously noted, there is an essential chemical in the striker - I used to know, but have forgotten - it may be potassium chlorate or potassium percholrate, or it may be red phosphorus (Great! Now I'm gonna have to go refresh my memory or it's gonna bug me <grin>). In any even, unless it's red phosphorous, the essential ingredient is probably water soluable. I suggest you try the following with your matches:<br><br>Find a strip from book matches or box matches that works to reliably light your matches.<br><br>Hold the strip under running water and rub it gently with your thumb or finger while the water is running.<br><br>Dry the strip totally and try it again. If it works, good. If not, be sure you provide protection from moisture.<br><br>...The more I think about it, the more I think that safety matches are sulfur and potassium chlorate, with glass (silica sand) and red phosporous for the striker... <br><br>Anyway, if you do the test on the striker, please let us know how it came out!<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom<br><br>[color:red]Post Script - the strikers should be OK:<br>Safety matches<br>These matches can only be lit by striking on the specially prepared abrasive surface on the side of the matchbox, while "strike-anywhere" matches (illegal in many countries because of fire hazard) can be struck on any rough surface. <br>The heads of safety matches contain sulfur and oxidizing agents such as potassium chlorate with powdered glass, fillers, colouring matter and a binder of glue and starch. The striking surface on the box contains red phosphorus, powdered glass or silica (sand), filler and binder. When the match is struck, the heat from the friction causes a small amount of red phosphorus on the box to be vapourized as white phosphorus vapour. The latter burns spontaneously in air and initiates the decomposition of the potassium chlorate which liberates oxygen. The sulfur ignites and lights the wood of the match. <br><br>The heads of strike-anywhere matches contain phosphorus sulphide P4S3, oxidizing agents, powdered glass to increase the friction and a glue as a binder. Since both phosphorus and sulfur are present on the heads of the strike-anywhere matches, striking these matches anywhere will generate enough heat of friction to ignite the phosphorus sulfide. The train of reactions thereafter is similar to that which is described above.<br><br>TGA</font color=red><br>

Edited by AyersTG (12/10/01 09:58 PM)