The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#302530 - Yesterday at 06:20 PM Things I Have Learned About Generators
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Here are some things I've learned owning generators and running generators that do and do not belong to me. Improvements and additions are more than welcome.

Before you buy a generator:
  • Understand the wattage of the things you want to power with your generator
  • Understand starting watts (often called surge watts) versus running watts for your generator, and don't plan on using more than the running watts for more than brief periods
  • Understand starting versus running watts for the things you want to power -- things like power tools, pumps, air conditioners, fridges, and freezers use up to three times their normal watts during startup
  • Figure out a good place to operate the generator, outdoors, away from flammable materials, and away from windows that might open, and hopefully out of the rain
  • Decide if you're going to use a transfer switch to power your whole house, parts of your house, or if you're going to use extension cords to power specific devices
  • Invest in high-quality extension cords if you'll use them with a generator, and no longer than they need to be

After you buy a generator:
  • Never, under any circumstances, backflow power into your house without a transfer switch -- this can be deadly
  • Never, under any circumstances, operate a generator indoors, near a window that might open, or anywhere other than outside in fresh air -- this can be deadly
  • Don't operate a generator anyplace near flammable materials
  • Have a plan to operate your generator in the rain without it getting wet, if it isn't designed for that; I use a sheet of plywood but almost anything will do as long as airflow isn't badly impeded
  • Ground your generator if you're doing anything other powering specific devices with extension cords (and it isn't a bad idea to ground it anyway)
  • Read the manual that came with your generator
  • An aftermarket magnetic dipstick can help you see and remove metal particulates in the oil, which can significantly lengthen the life of the engine
  • Break in your generator as described in the manual -- but don't hesitate to change the oil more often than suggested -- my Champion generator manual states to break it in at no more than 75% load and change the oil at 30 hours, but the condition of the oil resulted in my changing the oil at 5 hours and again at 15 hours during break-in
  • Always use stabilized fuel
  • Have tools, oil and spare parts on hand -- I've obtained duplicates of certain tools to keep in the generator-specific toolbox

I'll post about the tools and parts I keep around later on.

And one more time: NEVER backflow power from a generator into your house wiring without a transfer switch! Do not ever even possess a "suicide" cord -- they're named that for a reason.

#302531 - Yesterday at 10:00 PM Re: Things I Have Learned About Generators [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

If you are powering a medical device, have a small back-up genset for at least that device.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aaron_Guinn, israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo
5370 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Gift ideas for a fire station?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 02:13 AM
Things I Have Learned About Generators
by Doug_Ritter
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Emergency Toilets for Obese People
by dougwalkabout
10/21/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by dougwalkabout
10/20/24 11:51 PM
Man rescued, floating on cooler
by Ren
10/16/24 02:39 PM
Satellite texting via iPhone, 911 via Pixel
by Ren
10/11/24 11:25 AM
Hurricane Milton
by Herman30
10/09/24 11:07 AM
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.