The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#302502 - 09/24/24 12:53 AM The price of gold
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
About a year ago gold was at about $1,700. "Nah, too high," I said. Yesterday, I bought an ounce (4 1/4 ozs) at $2,731 (including commission). Last night, I was sitting at my computer, beating myself over the hear that I didn't buy at $1,700. Then it hit me - In six months, I would be sitting at the same desk, beating myself that I didn't buy at $2,731. So, today I bought another four quarter ounces at $2,778 (including commission).

The federal government is going into debt ten billion dollars a day . . . over three trillion dollars a year.

"If something cannot go on for ever, it will stop." Herbert Stein, economist.

Edited by brandtb (09/24/24 12:56 AM)

#302503 - 09/24/24 01:04 PM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I couldn't afford gold, so I bought silver instead.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302504 - 09/25/24 12:23 AM Re: The price of gold [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I couldn't afford gold, so I bought silver instead.

Jeanette Isabelle

Good choice. .999 silver 'Walking Liberties' are going for $36 plus change at Apmex. (Probably a bit lower at a local shop.)

https://www.apmex.com/product/186167/1-oz-silver-round-walking-liberty

#302505 - 09/25/24 12:43 AM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
Carpal Tunnel

I have one-troy-ounce silver rounds, but none is the Walking Liberty design.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302506 - 09/27/24 02:17 AM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I guess I'm a contrarian, but I'm skeptical of buying precious metals. They just sit there accomplishing nothing while you hope for the best and fear the worst.

I am inclined to think that the only meaningful investment is access to fertile soil, access to a woodlot, and the skills and tools to make good use of them. This has been true for most of human history, and I think it still holds true.

My 2c.

#302507 - 09/27/24 07:37 AM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Yeah, what are you going to do with the gold and silver in an unrestfull society. You canīt eat it and hardly use it to pay for goods.

#302508 - 09/27/24 01:53 PM Re: The price of gold [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

You can't eat paper currency, either.

#302509 - 09/27/24 04:38 PM Re: The price of gold [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
You can't eat paper currency, either.

OK, that is missing the point. You also can't eat a knife, you can't eat a shovel, you can't eat a bag of fertilizer, you can't eat a bow & arrow, and you can't eat a Costco membership card. But sometimes those objects might be quite valuable in attempting to obtain food, and sometimes they might be totally useless.

The important analysis to be done is, "Under what circumstances will paper money become worthless, credit cards useless, investment vehicles fail, banks close, AND society will converge on a functioning alternate store of value based on the rarity of certain precious metals. Sounds like a TEOTWAWKI situation to me.

You calculate the odds of that situation (which are not zero, true), compare that against the odds of other situations that you might want to prepare for, and calculate what you might do about it, and then make your bet. What scenarios are you actually defending against, and what is the likelihood that your proposed defense is going to work?

Everyone makes their own decisions. And who, actually, is going to want to trade something practical for your silver coin? For me, I'd rather store canned goods than silver dollars. Even in a disaster situation, I think that would be a better medium for barter.

Now it is true that there are entirely rational financial advisors who suggest that a small position in precious metals (say %5) can serve as a useful inflation hedge in a balanced portfolio. They almost never suggest taking physical possession however, but gaining exposure via suitable financial instruments (e.g., gold mining stocks).

Finally, there is the hobby aspect, which I am the last one in the world to deny. I have no rational survival justification whatsoever for my 20 flashlights, 20 pocket knives, or dozen different cell phone chargers. I just like 'em. If you like gold or silver coins, that is a perfect reason to own them. I used to collect stamps in my day, I liked those too. But they weren't a practical financial survival tool.

#302510 - 09/27/24 07:40 PM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
brandtb Offline
Addict

You can't eat your home fire insurance policy, either. Gold is a financial hedge, not a survival supply.

#302524 - Yesterday at 02:07 PM Re: The price of gold [Re: brandtb]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

My philosophy is to buy stuff that we WILL need in an emergency (short or extended). So, we have a well-stocked pantry. Last year, I built a brick fireplace in the backyard with spaces underneath, filled with coal and other fire-cooking stuff. Also added more water tanks and more storage cabinets. I believe if we had to stay put (bug-in, as in Covid scenario) we will not suffer much.

INHO, this is more reasonable that buying gold. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 433 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aaron_Guinn, israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo
5370 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Herman30
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
Man rescued, floating on cooler
by Ren
10/16/24 02:39 PM
Satellite texting via iPhone, 911 via Pixel
by Ren
10/11/24 11:25 AM
Hurricane Milton
by Herman30
10/09/24 11:07 AM
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.