The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#302480 - 08/19/24 11:06 PM Best TSA Safe Multitool
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I fly a lot for work, typically one to two trips internationally and around 50+ domestic flights a year. Plenty of people fly more, of course, but for me that’s a lot.

One of my preps is a Leatherman Style PS (https://www.leatherman.com/retired-products.html, scroll down) which is TSA-safe and highly valuable. It’s rare that I go anywhere on a plane and don’t use it.

The TSA at some airports seem to not care about it, and others care very deeply. I clip it to a carabiner on my laptop backpack at the checkpoint — this enables TSA to examine it if they wish without digging around in my bag. I think the worst delay I’ve had for it in the USA was five minutes. Once, a Mexican airport security guard put it in his pocket with glee — I figured it was worth the $40 to get out of Mexico without further hassle and didn’t worry about it.

It’s imperfect — it’s prone to corrosion in my pocket and the scissors spring seems to break easily. But it’s WAY better than not having it.

Leatherman has discontinued it. It’s still available for twice or more the original price, but it’s hard for me to want to spend that much on a spare.

What I want more than anything is a small pair of pliers that folds up onto a keyring. The small scissors, bottle opener, and other tools are nice to haves. The competing Gerber Dime Travel also seems to have been discontinued.

Is there anything in that size class that’s TSA safe and has at least a pair of pliers that I should look at?

#302481 - 08/22/24 12:49 AM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My condolences on flying so much. The thrill wears off quickly.

You are of course hampered by TSA rules (no blades whatsoever). I am allowed a tiny blade (less than 6 cm to the pivot) on domestic Canadian flights. Usually I cut them down to 5 cm and proactively declare them to the security staff -- "there's a sharp here."

I have a Style PS as well as a couple of Squirt P4's in my collection. Because they're kinda cool -- even though they are very limited. But I don't travel with them.

Instead, I find that a set of discrete items are much less hassle and much more functional -- craft size needlenose pliers with a decently hard wire cutter, crash scissors (paramedic shears) with the "safety tip" removed, small diamond abrasive, and so on.

If you're set on a Leatherman, I would suggest collecting some used Squirt P4's off eBay (reasonable prices) and chopping off the blade. Voila, no sharps here. And you won't cry if it doesn't make it home with you -- never travel with anything you care about.

Also consider the Micra (super cheap) with blade removed. Add mini needlenose pliers. And crash scissors. I would consider that a useful suite of travel tools.

#302482 - 08/22/24 12:05 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
My condolences on flying so much. The thrill wears off quickly.

I flew a lot more leading up to late 2019. While I certainly do not enjoy flying, generally it doesn’t bother me. I’m extremely fortunate in my job, and my willingness to travel has led to some very positive things in my career.

Quote:
I have a Style PS as well as a couple of Squirt P4's in my collection. Because they're kinda cool -- even though they are very limited. But I don't travel with them.

The Squirts were great, I had a few.

Quote:
Instead, I find that a set of discrete items are much less hassle and much more functional -- craft size needlenose pliers with a decently hard wire cutter, crash scissors (paramedic shears) with the "safety tip" removed, small diamond abrasive, and so on.

My intention is to have a minimal set of tools on my person. And the US TSA is far more likely to take a hand tool that’s 4” or longer than they are a tiny keyring multi without a blade. Their rules say that the checkpoint personnel can stop anything they want for any reason.

Quote:
If you're set on a Leatherman, I would suggest collecting some used Squirt P4's off eBay (reasonable prices) and chopping off the blade. Voila, no sharps here. And you won't cry if it doesn't make it home with you -- never travel with anything you care about.

I may end up doing that. I’m not so much set on Leatherman (although I am an unabashed Leatherman fan) as I am on a keyring multi.

Thanks!

#302486 - 08/22/24 03:35 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Used to carry a Sebertech M4 Sebertool until I lost it, IIRC the M2 version didn't have a blade.

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=M4+SeberTool

Seems they're no longer around.

#302489 - 08/23/24 10:44 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Ren! I'll look for one used as a possible option.

#302490 - 08/24/24 09:36 AM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ren Offline
Addict

This came across my path yesterday

https://windeler.co/products/folding-pliers-pl01

#302491 - 08/24/24 08:23 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Ren! The pliers are out of stock. It seems a bit bigger than I was hoping for, and I definitely won’t be getting something with a magnet for a keyring tool.

#302493 - 08/25/24 04:14 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
Ren Offline
Addict

Yeah, not a fan of magnets on kit either.

#302497 - 08/31/24 02:57 PM Re: Best TSA Safe Multitool [Re: chaosmagnet]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I carry hair shears with 3 inch blades in my dop kit, a small craft scissors (with screw together construction) in my computer bag with a Leatherman Squirt P4 without the blade. Occasionally they look at the Squirt.

Knives and Leatherman Charge go in checked bag. Check a bag on 90% of my flights.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 194 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
Yesterday at 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.