Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 58 of 58 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58
Topic Options
#302448 - 07/12/24 04:50 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The last time I shopped at Ollie's, I purchased a two-pack of Serta pillows because the MyPillow product did not live up to the hype. While the Serta pillow was better, it still needed improvement. Yesterday, I tried two other brands: Cannon and U.S. Polo Assn.

I also purchased a bottle of glue, two Post-it notes packages, four packs of Oral-B floss picks, and a hairbrush.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Ollie's or any of the products I mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302450 - 07/17/24 05:16 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am overhauling the engine in my shuttle bus. It will pull the camper and carry extra equipment & supplies.

Engne overhaul: $12K+

#302454 - 07/18/24 04:11 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
While I have corded backups for the most critical power tools, keeping my stock of batteries in good shape was one of this week’s small chores. The manuals state that if the batteries stay on the charger for eight hours the cells will be rebalanced. I haven’t taken any of them apart to do my own testing, most of the batteries I have are a decade old and all still hold a great charge. Recently I’ve bought a few more.

The other thing I’ve done is build a small adapter that connects a battery to Anderson Powerpoles. From the Powerpoles I can use the batteries to run any of my ham radio gear, charge USB devices, or connect to darn near anything else that can use it.

#302465 - 07/31/24 04:32 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Today, I ordered a 700-count bucket of disinfecting wipes. I needed a way to keep my cane disinfected because I touched it after washing my hands.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302466 - 08/01/24 02:05 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Today, I purchased five 18-count cases of applesauce cups, Vicks VapoRub, and a pack of bath wipes at Walmart.

I use the applesauce to mix with one of my medications every morning. I bought five cases to ensure I have at least a year's supply. The cups are easier to store and don't need refrigeration once opened.

I haven't used Vicks VapoRub since kindergarten, but I decided to get it just in case.

I bought the bath wipes to try them out, and if they work well, I'll purchase more.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302467 - 08/04/24 12:58 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

I ordered three 14-pack D-cell batteries.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302468 - 08/04/24 08:57 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Extra batteries are good to have. I got these recently:
https://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Parallel-Battery-Convertor-Adapter/dp/B00OUM17AQ/ref=sr_1_5?sr=8-5

I'm finding that I am narrowing down my battery needs to the least number of 'types' and this helps so I can still run D-cell items with the AA cells I've got on hand.

#302469 - Yesterday at 08:07 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Backups. Oh lordy, have I have been doing backups.

I have one PC that has a cloud backup account -- the service I use permits unlimited backup storage per PC. I'm cheap, so only that PC has the cloud backup account.

The device was running Windows 10, which is going end of support in October 2025. The primary storage drive has been running for seven years nearly continuously...and hard drives tend to fail after five years. Yikes.

There is a way to upgrade the PC to Windows 11 anyway, skipping compatibility checks. That worked. I added more SSD storage, and that worked. I copied all the data from the seven year old HDD, and while that took a long time, that worked. I removed the old HDD, re-labeled the appropriate SSD to have the old drive letter, and that worked too.

So this was tedious, took a lot of careful research and planning, and was worth it. Because a few minutes ago I concluded all functional testing, and everything works the way it's supposed to.

If you have important files, back them up.

Page 58 of 58 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (UncleGoo, Jeanette_Isabelle), 259 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
bacpacjac
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 09:56 PM
When you get lost hiking in WA, how much does it c
by Doug_Ritter
07/18/24 08:31 PM
Yikes...
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:04 PM
Idiot and Ill-Prepared
by Doug_Ritter
07/17/24 03:17 PM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.