The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#302163 - 12/25/23 06:25 PM My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In 1998. I got my first Leatherman Wave. It had a slim profile for the pliers, a slim profile for the two knife blades, no pocket clip option, no bit drivers, and internal implements were non-locking. I was over the moon.

I used the everloving heck out of this multitool — it rode in my laptop bag for much of my career as a networking and cybersecurity consultant. There almost nothing I didn’t do with it other than break it — it was an absolute champion for everything I asked it to do. And with a bit of care, I learned to not get hurt because of non-locking implements folding under load.

In 2004, the “new” Wave came out. It had slightly larger pliers jaws and knife blades. It also had a removable pocket clip or removable lanyard loop as an aftermarket option and I used both extensively. Several fixed driver implements were replaced with large (using LM’s proprietary flat bits) and small (eyeglass sized) screwdriver bit holders and bits. Most importantly, all of the implements were locking, a revolution to me. I found a third-party supplier for S30V [*] blades and made my first multitool modification. Later, I sacrificed the head from a Rebar and turned this into a “Rave” to have replaceable cutting blades. I learned to really appreciate the post-2004 Wave/Rave, and it’s probably the multitool that I’ve carried on my person the most over the years.

The 2018 release of the Wave+ seemed perfect to me — the difference being that it came with replaceable cutting blades. This one was also modified with an S30V main knife blade. My well-loved “Rave” was retired and I used it constantly as my main multtool. Until now.

For Christmas I got my Leatherman Arc. My first Arc was returned to Leatherman because the awl implement was not finished. I expected that Leatherman would prefer to repair it, given that I had their custom shop laser-engrave my initials on the handle and my chaosmagnet symbol on the blade. This was a disappointing malfunction of Leatherman’s QC. The Arc I received in exchange has no QC issues.

The two big differences are that the Arc uses Leatherman’s “Free” technology, making every implement one-hand-openable, and that it has a Magnacut main blade. My Wave+ has been sent to the Drawer of Retired Multitools. It’s clean, lubricated and ready for work, but it’s not clear to me that I’ll be carrying it in the future.

[* — I actually don’t know if the aftermarket LM blades I’ve bought are really made from S30V instead of the default 420HC. They seem like they are, but I’m not a metallurgist and I’m relying upon the sellers to have told me the truth.]

#302169 - 12/26/23 05:47 PM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still prefer the original Wave over the newer models, though mine is looking pretty worn now.

#302170 - 12/27/23 03:00 PM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: Eugene]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I still prefer the original Wave over the newer models, though mine is looking pretty worn now.

It’s an outstanding multi to be sure!

#302171 - 12/28/23 04:57 PM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
well told CM.

my story is like it, starting with their first PST.

today i carry the Wave+.

like you, i've considered upgrading to a better blade steel but figured i wouldn't abuse it as much as i would with a standard steel blade, and thus get less use out of it.

besides, i'm never without a high-quality razor-sharp lock-blade folder in my front pocket.

thnx for sharing, and enjoy your Arc.

#302173 - 12/29/23 10:09 AM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Great review/story! I have some Leatherman tools but I tend to get more use out of my Victorinox Spirit multi-tools.

#302178 - 12/30/23 08:46 AM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: wileycoyote]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
my story is like it, starting with their first PST.

My original PST has been retired. Fond memories!

Quote:
today i carry the Wave+.

There's a number of good reasons that this is LM's #1 best selling multi of all time. It would not surprise me to learn that it's the best selling multi in human history to date.

Quote:
like you, i've considered upgrading to a better blade steel but figured i wouldn't abuse it as much as i would with a standard steel blade, and thus get less use out of it.

When I started carry multis, my then-employers had either written or (mostly) unwritten policies against carrying "knives" which multis didn't violate. Especially if none of the administrators saw anything sharp that could upset a person's delicate nature.

Nowadays, for a variety of reasons, it's rare for anyone to look me askance for a visible pocket clip. Around a decade ago I got a sharp look from a General on a military base...but I learned from his team that he first thought I was carrying a firearm in violation of his orders. My pistol was back in the car where it belonged -- the visitor's lot there has armed guards, which I really appreciate. I'm still acquainted with this General and he signed off on multiple purchases from my then-employer so it worked out.

Quote:
besides, i'm never without a high-quality razor-sharp lock-blade folder in my front pocket.

I carry an RSK Mk1-G2 every single day that I'm leaving the house but not flying. The S30V blade I installed in my Wave+ almost never got used. I won't pretend that I needed the Magnacut blade in the Arc. But that didn't keep me from wanting it. The Arc was always an indulgence for me.

Quote:
thnx for sharing, and enjoy your Arc.

Thank you very much. Our single-mother neighbor and close friend "G" texted with a small homeowner-type crisis on the 26th. Mrs. Magnet burst out laughing and called G to let her know how happy I was to put my Arc on my belt to come save the day :-).

#302179 - 12/30/23 09:00 AM Re: My Relationship with Leatherman’s Wave, 1998-2023 [Re: Phaedrus]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Great review/story! I have some Leatherman tools but I tend to get more use out of my Victorinox Spirit multi-tools.

I have owned one -- a SwissTool received as an award in the mid-1990s, with my now-defunct former employer's logo on it. A treasured relic of my past, I just now took it out to handle it.

My recollection is that I retired it in 1998 for the smaller and lighter Wave.

None of the SAKs I have owned survived. There was one whose loss I remember -- it was a Victorinox and it might have been a Sportsman. My cousin stole it, which led directly to the acquisition of my PST. I carried a Midnite Manager at my first full-time Grown Up Big Boy Job, because my Spyderco was too scary for the admin staff. I have no memory of what happened to it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 354 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.