When Mom and I moved here to Nacogdoches more than a year ago, we could not find a synagogue. Recently, Mom discovered a congregation in Mt Enterprise. Friday, at sundown, we celebrated Yom Teruah in an old community center. There were approximately forty people in attendance, and every age group was represented, which I liked. While most of us looked casual, there were two families who were more orthodox in their attire. I found this diversity refreshing. My favorite part of the night was the food and dancing. Everyone brought Mediterranean dishes. Afterward, most of us engaged in traditional dancing. I can't remember the last time I had fun on a holiday. I thought I was getting too old for fun.

The congregation will be at Lake Murvaul for Sukkot. However, Mom and I scouted the campgrounds today. It's tradition to be outdoors on Sukkot, but a cabin is close enough. There (after all, it is on the lake), I discovered that I will need to bring insect repellant. I will also bring sunscreen, and my swimsuit and hunt for a beach towel.

As for Sukkot activities, one will be a contest to build the best Sukkah booth using gram crackers.

Jeanette Isabelle