Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299298 - 07/08/21 08:37 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I consider the InReach to be cheap insurance...

#299313 - 07/11/21 09:02 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
GoatMan Offline

Like Teacher, I consider an InReach like insurrance.

I have an InReach Mini and had a Delorme InReach before that. Upgraded just for the reduced size and ability to construct texts on the unit incase my phone was out of commission.

Satillite messaging is slow and not for normal chatting, but it is a great backup. I have taken it with me when canyoneering, but have not tested it in a canyon. The ones I have done are really narrow (touch both walls) and I would expect I wound need to be in a more open area for signal to get out on any device.

#299317 - 07/12/21 03:08 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks for all the comments. I definitely need one, but it's still hard to decide which one. I wish I had the money for both a plain, high-powered PLB and one of the units which allows some texting. Where I'm going is known to "eat" vehicles more than hikers so the ability to giver rescuers more details is nice. On the other hand, I'll be heading through some rough terrain down in some canyons.
It's still six months away, so I have time before I have to decide...plus, I'll be working on getting into topnotch physical shape to reduce the risk, too.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299321 - 07/12/21 06:03 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The current thread on the lady missing in Montana tells us that no measure you take is foolproof. Companions are nice, but they must be competent and capable of dealing with the situation.

One of the saddest of my SAR experiences involved an all night trek on snowshoes to reach a solidly frozen corpse who had been abandoned by his two companions when he became exhausted and could go no further. They just retreated and left him to his fate.

I had to relate all this to his brother.

#299324 - 07/12/21 10:02 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

One of the saddest of my SAR experiences involved an all night trek on snowshoes to reach a solidly frozen corpse who had been abandoned by his two companions when he became exhausted and could go no further. They just retreated and left him to his fate.

I had to relate all this to his brother.

That's hard to fathom! mad It's one thing to refuse to sacrifice your life for a friend but to refuse to be inconvenienced?! eek

#299326 - 07/12/21 10:22 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It gets even more weird...Talking with his brother, I learned that his companions had attended, presumably successfully, some sort of winter survival course.

Their first night out, they pitched tents, slept in their bags outside the tents, got rain/snowed upon, which soaked their bags. Thing got worse from there.....

#299331 - 07/13/21 09:57 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Blast
Thanks for all the comments. I definitely need one, but it's still hard to decide which one. I wish I had the money for both a plain, high-powered PLB and one of the units which allows some texting.

In general, InReach has had a very good success record for SOS use. Certainly a lot of successful rescues in the SW canyon country. Unless you are planning to traverse some really narrow and tight slot canyons, I think an InReach would serve you well. (Usual disclaimer, no pecuniary affiliation with Garmin or PLB manufacturers.)

The first issue is getting a GPS signal in to the unit. I've done some GPS trip logging while hiking in canyons and valleys. Sometimes, in really narrow (as in a couple of meters wide) slot canyons, the GPS will not get a signal at all. But usually it will log my location. What does happen a lot is what is called "multipath error", where the signal bounces off a canyon wall before hitting the receiver. When you display it on a map the location chatters around. Location errors I've seen appear to be up to about a 100 meters or so. This will effect either a PLB or an InReach.

The other issue is getting an SOS signal out to the satellite. In theory, the higher wattage PLB signal might help, in a few specific situations such as heavy foliage cover. I doubt that the extra wattage will help if you are in a narrow slot canyon. In practice, the InReach seems to do quite well for SOS signaling. I know of no side by side tests, or anecdotal info from SAR that would bear on this, so the difference is purely theoretical to the best of my knowledge. Both devices will continue to transmit till their battery dies. Unless the sky is totally blocked, sooner or later a satellite will come into view and the SOS will get out.

I do have some experience in sending routine texts with InReach, in widely varying terrain. It sometimes takes awhile for the message to go out, perhaps up to 10 minutes or so, but the signal eventually goes out. I've used it in some pretty rugged terrain, but not so far in any slot canyons.

In the event you do need to trigger an SOS, the advantages of two way text communication can't be overstated. You can inform the rescue team of the nature of your emergency, and seriousness of your immediate situation. Consider two hypothetical emergencies. You are in rugged country, it's 2 hours till sundown, and the weather is deteriorating. In the first scenario, during your hike you've experienced sudden chest pains and shortness of breath. It feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest. In this case, you need immediate high level medical attention, and the rescue authorities may consider a dangerous helicopter flight in bad weather and marginal light. In the second case, you've broken an ankle and can't walk, but have managed to improvise a shelter. Your situation is reasonably stable for awhile. In this case, the rescuers might decide to delay a flight till morning and better weather. Or they may opt for a slower land team to walk in and carry you out.

#299376 - 07/18/21 10:13 PM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: AKSAR]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Decision made!

Bass Pro Shops (and Cabelas), along with several other dealers have the Spot Gen4 satellite GPS messenger device on sale for $99.00

Link to Bass Pro Shop sale: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spot-gen4-satellite-gps-messenger?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CBPS%7CTopPerformers%7CBoating&gclsrc=ds
Service plans details: https://www.findmespot.com/en-au/products-services/service-plans#spot-gen4-plans

The SPOT® Gen4 Satellite GPS Messenger gives you a critical, life-saving line of communication when you travel beyond the boundaries of reliable cellular service. This SPOT messenger lets family, friends, and colleagues know you're OK—or, if the unexpected should happen, it sends your GPS location to emergency responders, all with the push of a button. Add this rugged, pocket-sized device to your essential gear and stay connected wherever you play or work. Custom messaging lets contacts know where you are by sending a preprogrammed message along with your GPS location. Automatically send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using cloud-based mapping. In an emergency, send an SOS with your GPS location to GEOS, facilitator of search of rescue.
Manufacturer model #: GEN4.

Lets you stay in messaging contact even far outside cell range.
Can send your GPS location emergency responders with the push of a button
Rugged build quality
Pocket-sized for easy portability
Automatically send and save your location and let contacts track your progress.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299748 - 08/18/21 12:39 AM Re: School me on satellite emergency beacon gizmos [Re: Blast]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Lower price and their plans are less cost than inreach plans, I think. Complaints I have seen with SPOT are getting nickle and dimed over charges.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.