Originally Posted By: hikermor
Costs related to evacuation are certainly one reason that evacuation centers are established by the Red Cross and others. You don't have to incur large motel bills.

This might be another instance where the speed this storm developed was an issue? I don't know how long it takes the Red Cross to set up shelters? Given that this went from a 'no big deal' tropical storm to a near Cat 5 hurricane in 48 hours or so, it might have taken the Red Cross some time to get geared up. I don't know?

Remember that Red Cross shelters generaly use other buildings, such as schools. When a storm develops this fast, I presume the RC needs to talk to the school district (or other agencies), verify that school is canceled, get permission to use the building, get staff there to manage the the shelter, and move in cots, blankets, etc from wherever they are stored. I would be curious to know how long all that takes. I'm sure much depends on prior planning.

Even with prior planning, much depends on the storm's track. The RC shelters themselves might be impacted by the storm. Note that in the article I linked, one person evacuated to a hotel they thought was in a safe zone, only to have to evacuate the hotel when it was damaged by the storm!

Edited by AKSAR (10/16/18 06:24 PM)