Originally Posted By: Russ

As for keeping food and water on hand — I really don’t understand not having at least a weeks worth of non-perishable food on hand always, let alone during hurricane season. I’ve got at least three weeks worth of freeze dried Mountain House plus a lot more in cans. Personally I much prefer fresh so the non-perishable items stay on the shelf a loong time, but they’re always there. So I just don’t get not having food for an emergency, especially living in Fla. crazy

I agree with you entirely, Russ. My first real job, I was living 45 miles away from any grocery store which was in Flagstaff, AZ. It was definitely a good idea to have a supply of food on hand. There were times when my living room floor was an impromptu dormitory for up to five people who had this habit of eating.

Along with my climbing and hiking excursions, during which it was always a good idea to have just a bit extra on hand to cover the unexpected, I have always kept a reasonable supply of subsistence goods on hand. Ir isn't hard to do (stock up during sales, etc). I don't have to worry about hurricanes (usually), but I would check stores at the beginning of the season, avoiding last minute shopping and all that.