I have four 6.5 gallon Blitz water cans, and one 7 gallon Reliance Aqua-Tainer, which I have rigged with a 45 deg garden hose shutoff, so I can prop it on top of my truck cap and take a gravity shower. It takes me about 2.5 gallons to fully shower, including washing and conditioning my long hair. This was very useful last summer, when I was homeless, between apartments, for the second time in two years.

Living in the bed of a pickup truck for a few months will really open your eyes. Lucky for me, I'm skinny enough to crawl through the rear window of my truck between the cab and the capped bed, which means I can mostly avoid getting wet on rainy days.

There's a tested artesian spring near me, which is where I fill my cans, but I store them empty and dried.

Since I got divorced, there's only me to feed, water, and toilet, my needs are smaller than most.

I've lived in a cabin with no electricity and no plumbing for a year, with a composting bucket toilet outhouse, a single 50W solar panel and a car battery to run LED lights at night and charge my laptop and smartphone, plus run my Amateur Radio set. I had only a woodstove for heat, and a two-burner propane stove for cooking.

All my water had to be carried in and all wastewater carried out. I had no refrigeration, save for in winter, I would keep empty apple cider jugs filled with water to freeze outside overnight, and swap them into my Coleman 54 qt Steel-Belted stainless cooler.

Edited by amper (07/30/18 09:19 PM)