Let me jump right in and make a big splash by talking about water storage. Like most of us, I have ready access to municipal water and use it routinely, but there have been interruptions from time to time, including a recent huge wildfire that triggered such a high demand on the system that faucets in many homes were dry. Water storage is a good thing. I am prepping for a big earthquake when water supply will be problematical for an extended period.

First line are water containers containing 15 liters each, opaque and BPA free - commercial products I obtained for a recent field project. My most numerous containers are recycled three liter water bottles (Mrs. Hikermor insists on bottled water for her tea) so I use those to store tap water. They are recycle category 1 (PET)which has low leach potential. They are cheap, and fairly easy to handle. I have at least thirty or so stashed in various locations - they do stack readily up to three high, which is nice.

Another favorite are recycled sport drink bottles, mostly Gatorade - also PET. And then there are canteens, mostly the dozen or so 32 oz Nalgenes, which are always stored full.

I keep all containers, especially the clear ones, out of sunlight and in various locations, including our vehicles. My climate is fairly mild, so I am not concerned about freezing or really hot temperatures.

BPA does not concern me, especially after reading the WebMD discussion of this subject. With pregnant women and very young children, my attitude might be somewhat different, but there are far worse things that might affect older humans. (Yo soy muy viejo.)

I have not recycled on any kind of regular basis, but I have recently had to move a water stash out of an outbuilding we are planning to tear down (we are racing the termites!!) and those bottles, kept in the dark, looked absolutely fine. If I used their contents, I would probably boil the water first.

Many sources advocate adding chlorine bleach to stored water, but my tap water is already so treated, so I don't bother.

During decades of climbing and hiking in the American Southwest, i have had misadventures where, for one reason or another, I was short on water. Consequently, I have obtained and used, water from some very questionable sources. I have never had a problem resulting from that use. When in doubt, boil if you can. if you can't drink up. Once you return to town, your illness can be cured, but you have to get there first.

So, use recycled plastic bottles (avoid plastic categories 3 and 7, per Web MD). Store them out of sunlight, or any bright light. Refresh contents, if you like, and store plenty. you will never have enough.

One other thing - my bottles stored in our shed acquired a rather disgusting film of dirt and dust. This time around. I am placing sheet plastic over the bottle stash. That cover will come in handy in many ways when the earth moves, or whatever.

Comments - questions??

Edited by hikermor (07/24/18 03:15 AM)