Just like my old man I can be wearing a suit and I will have a Leatherman on me. But he mentioned that when flying in between islands in Hawaii he had to leave his multi tool behind in order to get on the plane. If something happened right there you are bladeless...

Same goes for river kayaking event that happened to me few years back. I've flipped my boat few times and it is not a pleasant experience (well depends on the season and location). Now last time I did it I was in class 2-3 rapids. Now I don't really care about my kayak so I just let it flow down. I have another stuck kayaker right behind me that I'm trying to help because she is about to flip. Now I have water rushing, sharp rocks and after falling down I ripped my PFD open and entire content of the pocket spilled. It was getting wedged into rocks so I cut it off. I pushed her boat thru and floated down. Now I'm stuck on the beach, with Sebenza and wave... I walked half a mile grabbed my boat and realized that Windmill lighters are not waterproof. Had a hard time starting the fire and I was cold. I didn't start the fire since I knew it's about 2 miles to the car. I paddled thru, got into the car and drove to the coffee shop to get some warm stuff into me. But I lost essential part of my gear and if I haven’t grabbed my boat I would be stuck with no means of making fire, in cold weather (april), no food, and shelter but with two blades and flashlight.

Or coming out of Maine islands last year when my partner got slammed against rocks and flipped. His bag was striped and he found out that Baja Deck bag when submerged will let the water in quite easily. Now on that trip he lost a lot of stuff and found out that cigarettes soaked with sea water, dried out and smoked again taste horrible. But he had no means of making fire. I was his backup but I had my problems and coming into bay with 8 footers behind you everything might have happened. Since I was soaked wet as well we had two books of matches between us and some water proof box. And it’s all getting dumper everyday since it wouldn’t stop raining.

I think my point is to train in case of total failure but problem with exercising is that like it was mentioned to have the backup and do the difficult method first and if no success than switch over to the easier stuff. Well if in the back of your mind you know you can restore to easier methods you will have a tendency to be more careless and slacking. I was just trying to find out if there is maybe a sample practice that somebody did and list of stuff that they had and what they had done in order to start the fire, build a shelter and eat.

Matt