Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28600 - 07/02/04 08:36 PM Re: Protecting your mirror
Anonymous
Unregistered

As you've said...easy to demonstrate in person, kind of difficult to describe...but here goes...

This way works for me:

Hold the mirror in your right (or left...whichever you like) hand.

Make a "V" with your other hand.

Bring the mirror up to your eye, and look through the hole.

Catch the reflection of the sun on your "V".

Look for a 'ball' of light on the grid, or star, or cross...whichever aiming device your mirror has.

This ball of light is your aim point.

Put down your other arm...you don't need it anymore.

Aim the ball on target, and hope they see it. If you can see the ball through your twists to keep the target in site, they'll see the flash.

Now, you don't have to go through the "make the 'V'" bit, but I find it works for me in that some mirrors I've used...well...they don't provide a crisp 'ball', and doing the 'make the V' bit makes it easier to find the aim point in the first place. Maybe my brain is hardwired to look for an aiming point with 3 reference points...who knows...but if it works, it ain't dumb!

#28601 - 07/05/04 04:58 AM Re: Protecting your mirror
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
You can use the grid-type mirror to teach yourself how to use the reflective-on-both-sides-with-just-a-hole mirror... The glass on the back of the grid-type mirror (Coghlan's model) is just reflective enough to view a dim reflection of your hand and the spot of sunlight that shines through the hole. Comparing the reflection with the location of the bright spot provided by the grid yielded an "aha" moment, at least for me.

BTW can anyone explain the optics that creates the bright spot in grid-type mirrors?

Thanks!
Steve

#28602 - 07/05/04 12:02 PM Re: Protecting your mirror
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
From the above posts I gather the following is correct.

You can use the grid type mirrors when the sun and target are 180 degrees apart.

The grid type of mirror is as easy to use (or easier) as the double sided mirror.

I can give up trying to find a polycarbonate double sided mirror and get a starflash or similar mirror without sacrificing any functionality.

True???

#28603 - 07/05/04 03:43 PM Re: Protecting your mirror
Virginian Offline
journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
I figured out how the bright spot works by building a Star Flash type mirror in my shop... but that doesn't mean I can explain it!

I took a Lexan mirror and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center; then I taped a piece of retro-reflective tape with a 1/4" hole in the center to the back of the mirror, ensuring the reflective part of the tape is facing forward. Then I covered the front of the mirror with a clear piece of Lexan. The mirror I came up with seems to work as well as any aim-point mirror I've used and it is less than an 1/8th of an inch thick.

The way the aim point works is that the sunlight enters through the center hole, reflects forward off of the reflective tape, then reflects rearward off of the clear outer cover, back to your eye.

I don't have the time now to build and market my version of the mirror, but I might sometime down the road. Until then, anyone on this forum should be able to make their own using the instructions above. A good place to find the mirror material is at an auto parts place in the mirror section. They sell 7"X10" sheets of mirror that can be cut with scissors or a paper cutter for about $6.00.

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi, George

#28604 - 07/06/04 07:48 PM Re: Protecting your mirror
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know what they say about opinions, but...

Sure. You can safely replace the 2-sided mirror with a grid/star/cross 1-sided one...as long as you practice and can use it if you need it. Muscle memory can be a pain as well as a benefit...I've caught myself using outdated techniques on modern equipment because I trained on the old stuff to the point where I didn't have to think. Guess I'm getting lazy in 'old age' and don't invest the time on new gear the way I used to on old stuff!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 720 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.