Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
There is no handgun or handgun load that will reliably stop a large bear.

If you absolutely must shoot a bear with something smaller than field artillery or a close air support aircraft, I would recommend a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. But it's better to avoid the bears.

Well, layers. I bought two large cans of Counter Assault bear spray. In all likelihood I won't be approached by a bear, and if I am the spray will probably do the job. Next I will have my 9mm sidearm(s) loaded with 147gr +P+ Underwood FN-FMJ penetrators. That load will likely get 3 feet or more of penetration. It's not ideal but it's portable and a guide in AK did kill a 1,000 lb grizzle with a similar load (and a large load of luck!). Plus the main threat is usually the two legged animal [aka humans] and the 9mm is ideal for that.

Lastly I do have Mossberg 500A in 12 gauge. It will be loaded with Brenneke K.O. slugs with maybe one or two rounds of 00 Buckshot at the end. My brother has a bum peg so we probably won't take many long hikes, probably I will have the 9mm on my hip, the shottie slung on my back and the bear spray at ready. My brother also has a 9mm and a 12 ga and I bought him spray as well.

The bears may get us but they'll have to work for it! wink