I had never heard it referred to as the Swiss Cheese Model, but it's a good analogy.

We all probably know people who dislike other people checking their work. Most pilots I know (and I know more than a few) do not fall into that category. Especially on critical items -- it's a good thing to have a second pair of eyes check to ensure that the landing gear really are down and locked before you land.

In the case at hand the stranded UNT student didn't rely solely on her phone, she also left a note on her car. When she made contact by cell phone and couldn't give a good location before losing the signal, rescuers found her car and because of the note they (1) knew they had the right car and (2) knew where she had gone to find that cell phone signal.

BTW, how many times have we seen examples on this site of situations like this one that start by someone simply getting lost -- chalk up another one. Staying found is a big deal when you go long, solo. It's why I carry a GPS independent of my car's navigation as well as map and compass. If I ever get in trouble, I'll send a text to my niece (who texts a lot), saying "9-1-1, (general location, ie., Grand Canyon, South Rim), (precise Lat-Long), send the cavalry", or words to that effect. Failing that, I'll trigger my PLB.