Originally Posted By: Russ
I'm trying to see where color coded nylon pouches are an advantage over clear freezer weight ziploc bags. Color coding has obvious advantages in organizing opaque pouches that need a level of toughness not available in plastic ziploc bags. OTOH, transparent bags have the advantage of the user just seeing what is in the bag. Weight isn't the issue, I'm only concerned with function.

As for cutting toothbrushes and the like to reduce weight -- not happening. I like a real manly handle on my toothbrush, paracord wrapped so it fills my hand wink

Color coding is useful for when you're trying to find a particular pouch in low light and/or in a hurry. I.e. the FAK is red, the fire/signal pouch is yellow, etc. Heavyweight poly bags are my go-to choice for when I'm staying in a hotel since I can find everything at a glance.

EDIT: Having a "shove it into whatever I'm carrying" mini-kit has proven quite handy over the years. I've found that pouches the size of an A5 sheet of paper, with D-rings and belt loops are quite versatile.

Edited by Mark_R (01/19/17 09:00 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane