I suspect the article is correct in that heavy use of GPS can degrade many people's ability to find their way without the technology. Route finding is a skill, and like any skill it takes practice.

While the GPS chip can locate itself with incredible precision, the turn by turn directions rely on a database of streets and roads, and the software to link the GPS position to those roads. Those databases come from a wide variety of sources, and from time to time there will be errors. The database may be wrong to begin with. Even if initially correct, roads are rerouted, and new roads are built.

I most often use GPS when navigating in unfamiliar urban areas. Even in those cases I usually have some sort of printed map to get an overview of the route. Just having a general idea of where you are trying to go will help you realize when something isn't right.

Personally, I rather enjoy exploring obscure roads out in the boondocks. Most of the time, I am using whatever printed maps I have available, rather than a GPS. I have managed to get thoroughly lost and/or stuck a few times. Years ago in Colorado we once got way further down a 4WD trail than we had any business going in a 2WD pickup. It required some serious ingenuity with a shovel and jack, and some artful driving in reverse to get us out of there. A good Type 2 Fun adventure! As chaosmagnet notes up thread the key thing is using some situational awareness and common sense to know when things are getting too adventurous, and to turn back while you still can. (And carry a shovel!)

And always remember that without common sense, even printed maps can get you into serious trouble. The Kim family, who got tragically lost in the Klamath Mountains of SW Oregon in 2006, were using an official Oregon State Road Map. They were not the first people to come to grief trying to travel Bear Camp Road.

Edited by AKSAR (06/26/16 07:04 PM)
Edit Reason: correction