Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Bingley
We're spending quite a bit of effort to figure out an improvised sheath, and unless it's made from conveniently available materials in a convenient manner, it doesn't seem worthwhile --

Maybe, but it's a thought exercise that interests me. The "garbage commons" has tons of useful stuff that can be repurposed, and many times that's more satisfying than whipping out a credit card. And anyway, it was too quiet around here. grin

From my POV, the ability to improvise "found" materials in an effective way is an invaluable skill set in survival situations (or more importantly, in preventing them).

Agreed. I am totally digging this thread, Doug!

IMHO, there is something very satisfying about turning something into something else, especially when done frugally. It saves money, doesn't put a valued tool at risk of being lost in the mail, it's fun, it's better for the environment, and I think it'll make you more adaptable in the end.

Improvisation is a good skill to have. Some sort of retail-halting disaster aside, we don't all have the disposable income for the buy new and mail it to yourself strategy, and not all destinations are places where you can easily pick-up a Mora, nevermind for $12. (Moras only seem ubiquitous. Good news for Canadians though! Can Tire is now carrying the Mora LMF Fireknife or $40.) Cheap knives, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen, but buyer beware.

It seems to me that a great solution, is an old well-made kitchen knife. That $12 can stretch a long way at a second-hand store, and you are more likely to get something good quality for that low cost. It seems like a no-brainer if we're talking about something that you plan to possess only temporarily.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA