Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279546 - 02/16/16 02:36 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Ask a general, wide ranging question and you get a general, wide ranging answer. However, my most vivd examples of morale boosting and effectiveness come from SAR (Search and Rescue) and in that context there were plenty of survival scenarios, both for victims and for the rescuers.

I agree with Montanero about humor - on one accident scene - a plane crash with two victims - we were informed that the victims could be flown out, but that we would have to hoof it.

From the back of the group came a small voice -"That seems only fair, they were the only ones to fly in here."

Other examples could be given of SAR humor - it is frequently a way of dealing with situations that are often rather grim.

#279547 - 02/16/16 02:40 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Of course there is the classic strategy - "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

#279552 - 02/16/16 07:50 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
From my parental perspective: Food and rest. My kiddos get unreasonably cranky when they're hungry, especially if they're tired, and vica-versa. It makes everything infinitely more difficult. Sleep, meals and snacks save my sanity on a good day. LOL!

EDIT: Boredom sucks incredibly bad too. I give them jobs/responsibilities, entertainment and free-time to combat that, so they'd likely be important in a survival or emergency situation too.

Edited by bacpacjac (02/16/16 07:52 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279553 - 02/16/16 08:50 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: dweste]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
A few general observations-

Post-disasters:

In the immediate aftermath, information is a hot commodity. Generally, people want to know how "bad" and how extensive the damage is, how it is being covered in the news media, and what relief efforts are being undertaken. Specifically, people want to know where they can get help and what kinds of assistance are available, what stores, roads and government facilities are or will be re-opening and when, and they especially want to know the status and location of family, friends and pets. They also want to know the status of their own homes, neighborhoods and workplaces. Lastly, they want to let others know that they are okay.

So if you have internet access and/or a satellite phone, you, too, can be a hero! Radios with a speaker loud enough to be heard by a group, and outside newspapers are both informative and a useful diversion. Even personal digital photos taken on your cell phone or camera, if you've been able to get out and about more than others, will be of great interest to those who haven't been out.

Getting clean is always a morale boost. A hot shower and a change into a fresh uniform puts everybody in a better mood, as does any sort of decent, fresh, non-MRE meal. Our logistics people usually rig up a shower pretty quickly, and a washer and dryer somehow usually "magically" appears, or arrangements are made for laundry runs at some point, for us. Showers and laundry usually become available at shelters, too, although patience and organizational oversight is usually required if demand outpaces supply.

Clean and sanitary toilet facilities are also essential to make people feel more nearly normal. But these will quickly deteriorate if very frequent cleaning isn't done, because some people are always going to be disgusting pigs, regardless of the circumstances.

If you have or can arrange to provide these things, you'll go a long way toward improving people's morale.

Things people tend to want or run out of after a disaster:
CASH, more CASH
Tobacco and lighters
Plastic garbage bags
Paper towels, plates, etc.
Batteries
Cleaning supplies -mops, buckets, shovels, brooms, etc.
Cleaning agents - disinfectant sprays, bleach, soaps, cleaners, etc.
Personal hygiene items, feminine needs products, and baby supplies.
Work gloves, etc.
Basic demolition/mitigation supplies - tools, plywood, tarps, etc.

During a survival emergency:
A photo of family or loved ones has long been recognized as a morale booster and motivator, as has a Bible or other religious material for believers.

Having a plan that is well thought out, clearly communicated and credible, is a the first step to maintaining good morale.

Setting specific achievable tasks for all who are able, like gathering firewood or collecting water, keeps people busy and allows them to make a noticeable contribution to the group. Keeping some sort of regular schedule of activities and tasks, or duty roster, fights lapses into lethargy and despondency.

It may seem hokey, but group singing has scientifically documented benefits for morale and group cohesion. Group prayer and conversation are good, too. Only do not let anyone avoid or be excluded from these. Also, do not allow these to deteriorate into gripe sessions, finger pointing, recriminations, if-only or hopelessness.

#279560 - 02/17/16 03:54 AM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: dweste]
Doc Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
I am impressed with the story of Shackleton. I think its worth a read. Basically he gave them jobs, details, missions to accomplish. In other words he kept them busy being productive even if it looked bleak. The bottom line, they made it. Very amazing feat and inspirational.

#279561 - 02/17/16 07:45 AM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: dweste]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Everyone is different.

Many times when I felt down, I slept

Another tactic that worked for me was to focus 100% on my companion bag (GHB, PSK or whatever you may call it) and think of how to improve it, and forget anything else ...

Has worked for me.
YMMV
--------------
EDIT:

In emergecy times:
So, far I have't faced a natural emergency like a tornado, earthquake or such. Most emergencies I faced so far are family, social, or personal/financial types. Mostly, if it was really hard, I slept the first day or two. Not spectacular, I know, but it helped me later to be real strong and calm in resolving many issues.

Edited by Chisel (02/17/16 07:50 AM)

#279571 - 02/18/16 01:42 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: Doc]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Doc
I am impressed with the story of Shackleton. I think its worth a read. Basically he gave them jobs, details, missions to accomplish. In other words he kept them busy being productive even if it looked bleak. The bottom line, they made it. Very amazing feat and inspirational.

Amazing and inspirational for sure! I recall reading the tale as a youngster and my imagination exploding.

#279572 - 02/18/16 01:47 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: JeffMc]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JeffMc
A few general observations-

Post-disasters:

In the immediate aftermath, information is a hot commodity. Generally, people want to know how "bad" and how extensive the damage is, how it is being covered in the news media, and what relief efforts are being undertaken. Specifically, people want to know where they can get help and what kinds of assistance are available, what stores, roads and government facilities are or will be re-opening and when, and they especially want to know the status and location of family, friends and pets. They also want to know the status of their own homes, neighborhoods and workplaces. Lastly, they want to let others know that they are okay.

So if you have internet access and/or a satellite phone, you, too, can be a hero! Radios with a speaker loud enough to be heard by a group, and outside newspapers are both informative and a useful diversion. Even personal digital photos taken on your cell phone or camera, if you've been able to get out and about more than others, will be of great interest to those who haven't been out.

Getting clean is always a morale boost. A hot shower and a change into a fresh uniform puts everybody in a better mood, as does any sort of decent, fresh, non-MRE meal. Our logistics people usually rig up a shower pretty quickly, and a washer and dryer somehow usually "magically" appears, or arrangements are made for laundry runs at some point, for us. Showers and laundry usually become available at shelters, too, although patience and organizational oversight is usually required if demand outpaces supply.

Clean and sanitary toilet facilities are also essential to make people feel more nearly normal. But these will quickly deteriorate if very frequent cleaning isn't done, because some people are always going to be disgusting pigs, regardless of the circumstances.

If you have or can arrange to provide these things, you'll go a long way toward improving people's morale.

Things people tend to want or run out of after a disaster:
CASH, more CASH
Tobacco and lighters
Plastic garbage bags
Paper towels, plates, etc.
Batteries
Cleaning supplies -mops, buckets, shovels, brooms, etc.
Cleaning agents - disinfectant sprays, bleach, soaps, cleaners, etc.
Personal hygiene items, feminine needs products, and baby supplies.
Work gloves, etc.
Basic demolition/mitigation supplies - tools, plywood, tarps, etc.

During a survival emergency:
A photo of family or loved ones has long been recognized as a morale booster and motivator, as has a Bible or other religious material for believers.

Having a plan that is well thought out, clearly communicated and credible, is a the first step to maintaining good morale.

Setting specific achievable tasks for all who are able, like gathering firewood or collecting water, keeps people busy and allows them to make a noticeable contribution to the group. Keeping some sort of regular schedule of activities and tasks, or duty roster, fights lapses into lethargy and despondency.

It may seem hokey, but group singing has scientifically documented benefits for morale and group cohesion. Group prayer and conversation are good, too. Only do not let anyone avoid or be excluded from these. Also, do not allow these to deteriorate into gripe sessions, finger pointing, recriminations, if-only or hopelessness.

Great list, Jeff!

#279789 - 03/01/16 07:19 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: Chisel]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Everyone is different. Many times when I felt down, I slept. ...

Sound advice. Anything is easier to manage when we feel well rested. If there's nothing that needs doing immediately, getting rest while you can, and conserving your energy, is a wise strategy.

This is also a key component of my "don't just do something, sit there!" general coping strategy.

#279790 - 03/02/16 08:21 PM Re: Morale recovery and upkeep [Re: JeffMc]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Well you cant store morale ! though as some wit famously remarked you COULD store "more ale"

More seriously, many preps that go a bit beyond the truly essential will help a lot with morale.

Consider the basics, and then consider what is required to go beyond the minimum and thus improve morale

Sleep is vital, and whilst a sleeping bag on a concrete floor would preserve life, a proper folding or inflatable bed equipped with clean sheets and ample blankets would be far preferable and should be provided if circumstances permit.

Water is vital, and whilst suspect water that has been boiled or chemically treated should preserve life, but bottled drinking water tastes better, and a choice of fruit juice, fizzy drinks, tea, and coffee would be better still and should be provided if circumstances permit.

Food is an obvious requirement, and life may be preserved by MREs or similar, but freshly cooked hot meals are a great morale booster. Domestically try to store non perishables that are varied and enjoyable.
If pre planning for large scale disaster relief, consider what equipment and utensils are required to perhaps butcher and cook a whole cow, and hundreds of pounds of vegetables at a time.
Don't forget MREs as well, but as a last resort or for the first day or two of a disaster before arrangements for proper meals are in place.

Ones own stores should include liquor, tobacco, chocolate bars and other non perishable luxuries.

Do not forget games and pastimes, ones own stores should include books, board games, recorded music and the like.
If you are involved in emergency planning for large scale disaster relief, then consider what cheap and simple provision for leisure could be made. A few thousand second hand books are cheap, non perishable, and occupy but a small corner of a storeroom. Likewise a few dozen footballs (for a public shelter avoid games like baseball or cricket that require potentially lethal bats)

Presuming that electricity is available, then a giant TV is most useful for both entertaining and informing a large crowd. Many venues that could serve as public shelters will be equipped with such. If not, then try to borrow an LCD projector instead.

Both private homes and public shelters should be well lit and heated, so far as circumstances permit, as this is a great morale booster, as is air conditioning in hot climates.

A public shelter should if possible be heated to 22 degrees, and lit sufficiently to permit of comfortable reading even by older people.
Lighting at night should be very much less, but not completely eliminated.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 661 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.