Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
This strikes me as a very unlikely event - Its cool, but the total amount of times I stopped and found somebody trapped by a seat belt? Zero.

Important for LEo and fire/rescue...but for a corporate IT guy?

Some people spend a lot more time driving on bad or remote country roads than others do. If, for example, you regularly commute between your country place and the city along twisty mountain roads where professional rescue will take time to reach, you're gonna encounter a certain number of serious wrecks over the years, where you might want to be able to do something other than wait.

The same might be true if there are a lot of bridges and causeways over water in your area, or roads that are prone to black ice formation in cold weather

I had a friend who lived along a bad downhill curve on country road where a fire/rescue response might take a half-hour or more. But his road got a fair amount of traffic because it was an alternate route between a large urban area and some popular recreational and vacation areas. He said there were bad wrecks along that stretch of road at least a few times every year, often ending up crashing right onto to his property.