Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: Montanero
The ceramic side is good for maintaining an edge, but the carbide side will take a lot of steel off of you knife.

Both sides are ceramic smile

Actually no, those are small diamond rods, one pair coarse and one pair fine.

I have one of those Gerber pocket sharpeners, it's ok for what it is but I don't use it much. It only really works for smaller, thinner blades sharpened with a secondary bevel. Like Montanero said, the coarse side is too coarse and removes material too quickly, so it's a bit difficult to control. The fine side isn't all that fine either, less than ideal even for a quick touch up if you want a proper hair popping edge.

Also, Wileycoyote is right, the diamond rods wear our pretty quickly if any serious pressure is applied at sharpening. But realistically, that's to be expected from a $5 product.

Personally, I prefer a combo stone instead, followed by stropping on a leather belt with a polishing compound. You can get much better results with freehand sharpening. It's a skill well worth mastering IMHO. You can use a combo stone to sharpen just about any kind of blade, even an axe or machete. Fixed angle pocket sharpeners and jigs are not particularly versatile and don't work at all for scandi grinds, which could be a problem for many people.