Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#277864 - 12/05/15 02:56 AM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
All the news reports seem to parrot the official law enforcement statement, with no added detail whatsoever. Not helpful at all.

I doubt the water temperature in a Minnesota river is tropical, so a sit-upon kayak might get you wet and cold if you're unlucky and inadequately dressed.

On the other hand, having paddled one of the larger-sized sit-upon jobs, there's plenty of room to lash on a pack or dry bag containing all the essentials for an unexpected overnight.

#277875 - 12/06/15 12:06 AM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
a tiny bit of prep here would at least make the overnight more comfortable:
2 water bottles
rain jacket
tiny sunscreen, bug repellent, chapstick
energy bars
tiny flashlight
matches

in a small backpack or bag.

If it's not on you, it won't save you. Article seems to imply that she became seperated from her canoue.
Personally I think a 4 hour basic survival class qualification should be a basic requisite for kyackers amonst others.

#277876 - 12/06/15 02:04 AM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have always preferred a PFD with pockets so that signalling and survival gear can be carried on one's person. Assume you are going to get wet when kayaking anywhere - at least Minnesota waters are delightfully fresh.

#277996 - 12/15/15 07:52 PM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I disagree -- having extra gear in the boat might be of use.

#277998 - 12/15/15 09:59 PM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The wonderful thing about a kayak, at least the sea kayak variety, is that you can stash much more gear within it than you would ever want to put in a backpack - easily 100 pounds or so. So you can carry lots of nice stuff. Problems arise when you consider that it is all too easy to become separated from your kayak and all that nice gear. Tht is my rationale for a pocketed,roomy vest with critical survival gear.

Of course, it is probably true that one does not always ear their PFD....

#278046 - 12/19/15 04:54 AM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

They're not mutually exclusive. Keep the essentials on you, and the nice to have stuff that's not practical to carry continuously on the boat.

#278068 - 12/20/15 07:34 PM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If nothing else, the takeaway is the danger of relying too heavily on a group, or even a guide, to look after you. Too many things can happen, leaving you to look after yourself, at least for a while. Doubly so on the water. Canoedogs' life vest with its well-thought-out extras would have been worth its weight in gold in that situation.

^^ This. Canoedogs has an awesome life vest set-up and this is a great thread, with even more suggestions. Personally, I take notes from it whenever I'm prepping to hit the water. It's a darned solid survival kit set-up!!

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10186&Number=115815#Post115815a

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278217 - 12/26/15 08:49 PM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
Fyrediver Offline

I bought my girlfriend a sea kayak so she can go with me.

I equipped her life jacket with a full complement of basic survival gear including a strobe, knife, hand and aerial flares, smoke, rescue streamer, mirror, whistle, flashlight, pocket survival pack plus.

In each of our boats is a dry flotation bag tethered in the stern compartment with additional, duplicate, and more bulky gear.

Even on short day trips on the local little lake we carry everything and are self sufficient. Practice the same way every time.

If only I carried gear how would she fend for herself if I get taken out? I need to know she can take care of herself if I'm not around any longer or we get separated!

#280226 - 04/05/16 01:19 AM Re: Senior kayaker separated from party - solutions? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You can lose a boat or sink one, but most often on a river it goes a bit downstream and gets stuck..so yes, its ok to store more in it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.