Yes, it is the activity, not the outcome I am addressing. Object would not be the right term; reluctance or aversion would be closer to it. Notwithstanding your cardiac procedure, what about the other examples I cited? Would there be an aversion to going through a liver or lung transplant without anesthesia?

Kudos to you for enduring the hardship of marathoning. It does have it's implicit rewards, and like many things in life, it is worth suffering for if you have a mind for it. I believe natural childbirth can sometimes be quite uncomfortable, yet many women willingly go through it for the benefit they hope to receive. Some do not share that desire. One of the fantastic things about the human psyche is its ability to deal with great suffering when properly motivated. I suppose there are those out there who might actually be able to endure going through a liver transplant without anesthesia as well. I don't think everyone would be, however.

I think we are making progress here. Your point thus far is well made, and while of a different focus than mine, does affirm the more positive aspects of modern medicine. If we can hold our civilization together, we should continue to make great progress in making and keeping people well, the good Lord willing and the river don't rise.