I have lived in southern California for some time, and it has its negatives and its pluses. Realistically, what you do is adapt, minimizing the negatives and taking full advantage of the positives.

We have earthquakes, but we don't have tornadoes or hurricanes;thunderstorms are rare.

The area is over crowded, but the population is ethically and culturally diverse. We get many cultural events that don't play elsewhere. Freeways can be jammed, so you learn about off-peak travel.

Weather is generally mild (which can actually be boring!) I have a daily choice of beach, ocean, mountain environments within thirty minutes of my house. Desert and high mountain country are an easy drive. Lots of national parks and other preserves, which can be crowded (Yosemite!), but I know of secluded places, not to be named, where solitude can be found - pristine beaches where I have never encountered another soul....

What works is a change of place. For several years, I have worked seasonally in South Dakota, which is SoCal turned inside out. SoCal-every other person drives a Prius. SoDak-get a pickup truck or leave! I eagerly await my annual SoDak fix!

People is each environment generally respond rationally to their situation, which gives me hope for the human race.