The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#276649 - 09/15/15 05:43 PM "Survival in the Bush" Video
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I Highly Recommend Watching this 30 minute Video, Survival in the Bush was made in 1954 by the NFB (Canada's National Film Board) and is an excellent video.

NFB Short Film Survival in the Bush

"This short documentary illustrates what to do when you're lost in the bush. Filmed in 1954, an NFB producer and a Native guide allow themselves to be marooned in the bush with only an axe and their wits as means of survival. They eat off the land, build their own birchbark canoe and make their way out."

Its really the Original Survival TV Program and done the way it should be done. They don't make any survival TV like this today! Watch the Native Guide work, that is an incredible level of Bushcraft skill he has.
boreal.net

#276651 - 09/15/15 09:47 PM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thanks for sharing. It is worth seeing.

Even with dry matches, a pocket knife and a can of chicken, I could not survive long.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276652 - 09/15/15 10:38 PM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Very impressive indeed, especially the beautiful lines of the finished canoe. That is indeed superb craftsmanship.

#276653 - 09/16/15 12:10 AM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Thanks for sharing. It is worth seeing.

Even with dry matches, a pocket knife and a can of chicken, I could not survive long.

Jeanette Isabelle

Then you're using the chicken wrong laugh What brand of chicken?

#276655 - 09/16/15 01:03 AM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
What brand of chicken?

I looked at the video again. It's hard to tell. I can't make out the first word in the brand name. It's ____ Line.

Jeanette Isabelle

#276666 - 09/16/15 05:03 PM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
It is a Wonderful Canoe, amazing craftsmanship, i wonder how many he hand to build to get to that level. His Fire Lighting technique was also interesting!
boreal.net

#276676 - 09/17/15 12:11 AM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Oh wow, thanks, now I had to take a look ... looks like its "Sky Line" whole canned chicken, very interesting product, all I found before was canned chickenbreast smile

there exists a Skyline Chili but I couldn't find that brand of chicken

#276680 - 09/17/15 03:45 AM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Seeing as how they had no trouble capturing sturgeon, was there really a need to kill a mother bear via deadfall? And orphan a cub? Then sentence the cub to death by putting a belt around its neck?

We can assume they ate the bear, but they never talked about it or how they butchered it or preserve the meat.

From a camp-security standpoint, hanging smoked fish (and we can assume smoked bear) right in front of the shelter is asking for a bear visit.

My conclusion is that this is entertainment pure and simple, and not much different than what we get today. It just has that cool 1950s' vibe.

#276687 - 09/17/15 07:11 PM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The bush skill is incredible.

To our modern sensibilities, some of the things they do are distasteful. It's worth remembering that "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

#276705 - 09/20/15 06:41 AM Re: "Survival in the Bush" Video [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i saw this a few years ago and thought it was a set up and the "survivors" had a fishing lodge close at hand.they were both sort of clean for guys
who lived in the bush for the weeks it would take to make the canoe.
the spot was picked out because the fish were a easy catch and by the way the chicken in the can has a joke built in "its a small chicken" is a line out of a movie where a tramp is caught with a farmers chicken and trys to get off my saying it's a small one,if i remember right.
the fire making at the start is something i have tried but could never make work even with dry pine.
and the "bear problem", the white guy is put off but the local guy is just treating it as the way they do things,its just a bear.

as far a survival in the bush videos go i'm still trying to find the 1990's one of the two guys who get dropped off in the woods as part of a college PhD project.the main guys family ran a company that made the pre packaged meals for summer camps in Quebec and they had a radio and talked to school kids on how things were going.
the second part of the video is him and his buddys traveling like fur trappers in canoes with no modern gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.