Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2762 - 11/29/01 12:59 AM strike-anywhere matches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is one brand better than another? I've been told to get "Ohio Blue Tips", but can't seem to find them.

#2763 - 11/29/01 01:16 AM Re: strike-anywhere matches
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They are all virtually identical.I've used blue tips,diamond brand and Canadian redbirds. they are all fine. Matches are defined as hazardous/explosive materials under new and stupid shipping regulations. Because of this many retailers have stopped stocking them. I am able to buy the 250 count box for all of $1at our traditional hardware store.

#2764 - 11/30/01 01:30 PM Re: strike-anywhere matches
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Chris,<br><br>I only realized that the matches were considered explosive/hazardous materials after I took them with me as baggage in the plain back to Holland.<br><br>I packaged them nicely also inside the box to keep the individual matches from rubbing over each other.<br><br>Our scouts like them we dip them in molten beeswax to waterproof the heads and cut a short piece from the "stick" so that they fit inside a film canister.<br>These are our homemade cheap survival matches and they work just fine :)<br><br>Best scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#2765 - 11/30/01 08:28 PM Re: strike-anywhere matches
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had better luck with the older Diamond and Firechief strike anywhere brands. The Diamond's striking head seems to be slightly larger than the others. In a extreme situation I want all the odds on my side. It's getting hard to find the older Diamond brand. They have been replaced by the "new and improved" and are blue know. I bought one box and will not buy another. If you have them in your area just buy a box and compare. You'll see what I mean. After reading Chris reply about the Canadian brand I would like to find some for a test. Take 10 to 12 matches and tie them together with dental floss in a round bundle. Dip them repeatably in hot wax that has started to cool a bit to coat the entire bundle. You can light the whole bundle on a rock or anything suitable, or break them apart and use a single. They are a self contained fire starter and work extremely well. They are called firebugs.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 359 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Today at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Yesterday at 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.