Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Now that is a disappointment. Just when I thought I'd finally found something halfway decent on TV.

Staying within a mile or two of villages and seaside homes sounds a lot like Bear Grylls... Not quite "real" wilderness survival. That said, some of the critique may be a little unfair. You can see that the four remaining participants have had a pretty rough time. All have lost a lot of weight. Especially Sam, he used to be pretty chubby but is now almost a completely different person. That didn't look staged to me.

I am not critiquing the participants. I think that most did well and should be commended for what they put themselves through and suffered many hungry, wet, cold days and nights during their time there. Tonights epsiode revealed much more details on the participants that tapped out and also some sneek peeks on the 3 remaining episodes of the series.

I'm not familiar with the terrain, I have no idea what things are like on Vancouver island. Checking out Google Earth though the area does look pretty remote. Note that when Wayne tapped out in the middle of the night it took the rescue team over three hours IIRC to reach him, despite covering much of the distance by road.

Judging by the time required, my best guess is that the rescue team may have driven the gravel road from Port Hardy to Winter Harbour?

It was made pretty clear that Joe moved a fair distance since Day 1. If you watch the early episodes he was struggling to find a good place to camp until he found that beach. So that in itself didn't look too suspect to me.

In episode 2, it shows that Joe did not start moving locations until day 3.

I stand by my assertion (and at some point, may be proven completely wrong) that Joe was moved. During episode 2 - Day 3 at 2:20 pm, Joe crosses the river and starts his move. At 4:54 pm, he announces that he found the beach. That beach at the new location (Longitude 50°29'2.72"N / Latitude 128° 1'5.33"W) looks to be about 7-8 miles over some very tough terrain and certainly not doable in just over 2 hours. In the scenes before and when the rescue chopper lands, take a close look at the beach and surrounding land then compare to the above coordinates in Google Earth.

Anyway, I done speculating and will try and hold off on any critiquing for the last 3 remaining episodes which look they should be good.

John Lubbock