Dagny,

Nice kit for your sister. Like you I grew up in the Willamette Valley near Portland. When I was a Geology undergrad in the early '70s, Plate Tectonics was still a relatively new concept, but it was recognized that OR, WA, N CA, and S BC were located over a subduction zone. I still recall one of my professors commenting that while most subduction zones were seismically active, the PNW didn't seem to be. He said "We don't really know if this is because it somehow slips without earthquakes, or perhaps our record of quakes just doesn't go back far enough....?" or words to that effect. It took a couple of decades and the development of the tools of paleoseismology to determine that yes indeed, Cascadia does have very big quakes, they are just widely spaced in time.

I recently went through the same exercise as you, building a kit for my daughter, who lives near Tacoma. I think you did a good job designing a kit that has enough stuff to be useful, but is still light enough for a small person to carry. A couple of suggested additions:

I would include a lightweight compact outer shell garment. I opted to include a Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket, in High Vis Orange. It is reasonably priced, and folds up to a very small compact package. Get it big to go over other clothing. Presuming that your sister wears regular business apparel, it would be good to have a shell type garment to provide some protection from inclement weather. Bright orange will make her more visible for potential rescuers.

She should also include a pair of shoes she can walk in. Even an old pair of running shoes will be helpful if she needs to travel on foot to a place of refuge.

Another thing I would include is a pair of leather work gloves. If she needs to make her way on foot through rubble and wreckage, ordinary work gloves will provide some protection for her hands.

Some extra batteries for her lights would also be a good idea.