Tjin, I do agree with you to a point. There is always a fine line between an efficient police force and oppression. Arming the police to the teeth, dressing them in SWAT black and encouraging the use of military-style gear and tactics in a civilian environment is likely to do more harm than good... As demonstrated by a number of recent incidents and protests against police violence in the US for example (or France a few years ago).

Then again, I'm not sure the British strategy is working very well either. A somewhat tougher approach to law enforcement might work better than highly restrictive (and sometimes nonsensical) legislation that achieves little in the long run other than alienating the honest, law-abiding population.

In any case, I have travelled quite a bit in the UK and enjoyed my time spent there, whether it was business or leisure. Other than a few less than pleasant experiences in the big cities like London or Manchester I felt pretty safe. I did notice a sizeable police presence in the major urban centers though. I also felt a little uncomfortable about the ubiquitous Big Brother CCTV. Not quite my idea of a perfect society but surely I could think of many far more dangerous places to live.