Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Last week, while I was on business in New York City, my wallet was stolen. It was under 30 seconds of poor "situational awareness" on my part while paying for parking at an indoor garage, and it was gone.

I know exactly who did it, I know how they did it, and when the police arrived, they told me there was nothing I could do about it and it's not even worth filing a report. That's all I'm going to say about HOW the wallet was stolen. It can happen to you.

Some considerations come to mind regarding the filing of a police report:

-Police reports of classified crimes are what are used to create crime statistics, which are used to determine the amount of resources needed to address crime.

-In CA, but unknown regarding NY, if the wallet (or any item) was taken from your pocket, your hand (your "person"), or even if it was somewhere away from you and contained more than $400, it would be a felony. Even if it was not recovered, that is another felony stat to show what crimes are occurring and need to be addressed.

-Again in CA, if you filed a report and items taken included identifying info such as credit cards and drivers license, and a person is found to possess any of the items that can be identified, they can be charged with a felony. Even if it cannot be proven that they stole the property, they are in possession of stolen property. That discovery is very useful and usually leads to evidence of other crimes. Taking a criminal off the street prevents others from suffering the same crimes.

I can see a situation where you may opt not to report, but I'm not understanding it here.