Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#27503 - 05/13/04 04:45 PM Separate parts of Doug's kit
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I'm sure we talked about this before, but I can't find the post.

When and where will we be able to buy AMK PSP parts separately -- like the compass, whistle, mirror, etc.?

Bear

#27504 - 06/21/04 08:04 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

I'm reading the glowing reports on Doug's AMK kit, and I have to agree. The kit and its components are first-rate.

But I also want to ask, again, when and where will we be able to buy the components separately? I'm especially interested in the signal mirror, compass, whistle, and fresnel lens.

Bear

#27505 - 06/21/04 09:09 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

To best of my knowledge, at the moment, the only components that AMK plans to market separately are the Rescue Flash signal mirror, Rescue Howler whistle and the Spark-Lite with tinder. AMK are just finally ramping up production of the PSPs to meet initial orders. I can't provide any estimate for when retailers may choose to order and offer these items separately, but would not expect them to be in stores before the Fall at the earliest.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#27506 - 06/21/04 09:33 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Doug:

That's good to know. It will be something to look forward to.

Bear

#27507 - 06/25/04 07:10 AM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
paulr Offline
Addict

Note Countycomm.com is selling the USAF Sparklite kit (Sparklite and a few of those tinder wads in a matchbox-like case) for $6.00. That of course doesn't help with the other stuff. Doug's PSK mirror in particular seems like a real improvement over the other stuff out there.

#27508 - 06/27/04 01:32 AM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one kit on the way and will soon be getting one more. Where can I get info on the nylon cord and stainless wire(brand and item #'s) for my own self made kits.

Thanks,
Mith.

#27509 - 06/27/04 03:57 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

As noted in the PSP FAQ, the wire is mil-spec aircraft lock wire and is available from most any aviation hardware supply company. Offhand, I can't suggest where you might find the braided nylon line at retail. It is purchased in bulk and I'm not at liberty to say from where.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#27510 - 06/27/04 05:05 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
DennisTheMenace Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Doug may not be able to reveal the source of the cord, but perhaps a little research can provide a suitable alternative. According to the Pocket Survival Pak contents list the cord is "braided nylon cord" with a 150+ lb test rating. That looks a lot like mason's line. If you want to explore that option there are a lot of sources for mason's line (including your local home improvement store). Here's a link to a Froogle (Google) search for it: Froogle search link

Incidentally, I recently found a reliable source for 'parachute cord'. I can't claim they're the cheapest, but they shipped my order promptly. The "Type I Nylon" cord may only be rated at 100 lbs, but it feels stronger than higher rated cordage I've purchased in the past. It's basically a lighter version of 'traditional' 550 lb test parachute cord. It's also thin enough to thread through the lanyard hole on my Leatherman Wave tool. (Paragear.com)

Dennis

p.s. UPS is scheduled to deliver my 3 PSP's tommorow. One for my Jeep, one to carry (and experiment with) and one for the car kit I'm building for my nephew. In previous years I've given swiss army knives and photon lights as Christmas presents. This year may be the year of the PSP.

#27511 - 06/27/04 08:42 PM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug and DennisTheM,

Thanks for the leads on wire and cordage.
Mith.

#27512 - 06/28/04 12:03 AM Re: Separate parts of Doug's kit
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The last time i bought stainless safety wire sears had it in the tool department. It is made by Milbar (www.milbar.com) and is available in 1/4 lb spools.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 655 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.