Originally Posted By: bws48
Interesting option and a good review--thank you!

For years and years, I have carried a 3x D cell Maglite in the car. It is probably past the time to replace it, and this seems like it might be a good option. It occurs to me that, along with all of the other functions, if stuck on the side of the road, the red strobe could serve as a really good warning light to oncoming motorists. . . at night or in the day...

Your maglite may be given new life with a LED replacement. Google "led bulb replacement for maglite" and you'll find offers from $8 and upwards.

It's been a few years, but I _*think*_ I got the Terralux 140 lumens upgrade. To my eyes, it seems to be brighter than the original -- but with ridiculous long run time. In all, I see this as a BIG improvement over the original bulb.

140 lumens doesn't really impress anyone today. But it's plenty bright for most applications. At close ranges you don't really need much light, and the big maglite reflector means you can se pretty well further out as well. But who wants to lug around a 3xD cell club when you've got much smaller and brighter alternatives?

I upgraded my maglite for nostalgic reasons and because I was curious how it would work out. Well, technically it worked out really well. But the lights I actually use are the much smaller AA and 18650 form factor. The maglite stays at the shelve.