The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27466 - 05/11/04 01:55 PM New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
What do the radio people think of this new offering by CountyComm? Is the price good? Pete

http://www.countycomm.com/digitalsw.htm

#27467 - 05/11/04 03:12 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Saw it yesterday and ordered one, thought the FM & MW (AM) would make a decent travel radio. Not to concerned about the SW. Should be delivered later this week.

#27468 - 05/11/04 03:34 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't tell from the pic and info given, is it digital tuning (like the clock), analog, what? Like the size and price, not sure if the SW would be all that helpful, I have no experience in that area...

#27469 - 05/12/04 07:14 AM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, the MW and SW bands are very basic and not robust. The sensitivity in all cases is what I'd consider poor. You will get better reception with this rig only if you use a directional. external antenna, provided it has a receptacle for such. I would only pay $20.00 for it because I can modify it to make it do what I would want it to for cheap (pre-amp the front end, open the tuning up a bit, add an antenna jack if need be).

#27470 - 05/13/04 10:24 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

The GP-4 MW (AM), FM SW radio just arrived. Playing with it inside the building gets numerous FM & AM stations, it puts out a lot of volume and the clock was easy to set. The antenna retracts, leaving just enough roon to slide a finger nail under it to extend it. It seems to be nicely made and a little heavy for a small radio. Came with ear phones and a small instruction booklet. The ON/OFF switch looks like it could be turned On accidently. I'll have to play with it some more after work.

#27471 - 05/14/04 02:59 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

I played around with the GP-4 last night at home. The AM & FM reception was fine, at least as good as I expected. The tuning adjustment requires a bit of a "touch" to get it where you want it, it also drifts a little. The surprise came on SW. I really didn't expect too much, given that it's a small protable with a short antenna. I was able to hear many stations . I didn't have time to verify each one, but I heard German, Chinese (?) English and a lot of Spanish. I'll spend some time and see what I can verify this weekend.

#27472 - 05/14/04 11:29 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
sounds cool dave thanks for the review so far.

my question is are you in the city or suburbs?
and what level of interference do you usually have? (tall buildings lots of cb radios etc?)

#27473 - 05/14/04 11:36 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Hi Rat. I'm in the subburbs, all single story, no interference at all.Considering that I put up an outdoor antenna for my $200.00 SW radio. I'll try to verify some stations this weekend, made a small wire antenna today.

#27474 - 05/15/04 08:19 AM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
as ive said in the buying a new radio thread, i recently bought a am/fm/sw1-4 band radio.
and i cant pick up hardly anything other then typical am or fm stations because of the level of blockage here in the city.

too many tall buildings, cars with cb units, and who knows what else just gives me static to listen too on my sw bands.

ill still get the radios you mentioned because both for under $20 is still a hot deal.

for those living in ny, specifically manhatten,brooklyn.
would you suggest any good camping/hunting/survival stores to get reliable but generally inexpensive products?

if so id appreciate any info in p.m if you dont want to post it thanks.

#27475 - 05/15/04 12:39 PM Re: New Short Wave Radio from CountyComm
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn
Tip Top - 9th street and 5th ave. Not camping but mostly novelity/survival store

Manhatan
Tents and Trails - Park Place bet Broadway and Church... Nice selection of camping gear
Paragon - 18th Street and Broadway
IceBerg Army and Navy - Broadway, two blocks up from canal st

I'm also going to get that radio from countycom.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 746 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.