Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Bright color played an important role in this lady's survival and that is important because some people claim that one should dress in dull pastels and eschew bright colors in backpack and tents, etc.I have spent far too much time searching for victims wearing faded blue jeans and tan T shirts. I like hot, bright colors. If you dress in subdued shades,at least have something bright that will help get you noticed, to say nothing of a whistle or mirror.

Amen to that, Bro!

Picture an early morning briefing at the IncIdent Command Post. The Ops Section Chief is briefing search teams on the mission. "When last seen, the subject was wearing brown Carhart pants, a camo Cabelas jacket, and a camo baseball hat with a Jack Daniels logo on it." At that point a collective sigh is heard from the assembled volunteer SAR personnel.......

Sadly this happens all too often. It's one reason why I avoid the "Tacticool" look.

It's not just to be found more easily by rescue personell. It's also handy to see your buddy in front of you in bad weather (especially when belaying, during climbing). And ever put subdued coloured things down, walked away and then walk back and try to find it? Often you can find them, other moments are like having staring contests with a small patch of ground. It must be here, somewhere....