Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#274097 - 02/03/15 01:24 AM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I bleed gray and loden green.....

I think you should have that looked at. Just sayin'.

#274103 - 02/03/15 03:12 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fortunately, it reverts to red when I donate...

#274106 - 02/03/15 04:56 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: hikermor]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It depends. It sounds like he spoke to rangers who said "No, don't go there." and later on he went anyway...when no one was around. I am pretty sure that Trail Ridge Road had a gate with "Road Closed" sign. He might eventually get a ticket for"creating a dangerous situation" or some such.

The classic priorities for NPS folks are 1)saving lives, and 2)extinguishing fires.

You wouldn't believe the range of expertise one will encounter in park visitors. Some are unbelievably clueless and others may know more about the subject or locale than you do. Keeps you on your toes

Road Closed sign on TRR doesn't mean that hikers and xc skiers can't use it. In fact, it's probably pretty heavily used as it is a nice, wide, known route to follow.

I've had wonderful interactions with the RMNP Rangers during the many years I backpacked there. Often they expressed jealousy or admiration over the places my buddy and I were going or had gone.

I suspect the visitor did not intend to survive. That's pretty hard to fix.

#274107 - 02/03/15 05:21 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Years ago my first attempt at winter mountaineering was a trip in RMNP (Longs Peak). We were adequately equipped, and our leader was experienced. No problem with the rangers at all. Same thing later when I and a buddy did the standard route on the East Face of Longs.

#274187 - 02/09/15 06:18 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Reminds me of the "Gentleman" I once saw in Yellowstone attempting 3 times to "Place" his 2 or 3 year old child on the Back of a Grazing Bull Moose and then Step Back to take the Picture. He was really pissed off that the Bull Moose would kept shacking off his new passenger. He did not know how close he was to getting his young child hurt or killed or himself. After 3 attempts the bull moose simple walked into the lack and swam away.
boreal.net

#274188 - 02/09/15 08:14 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: BruceZed]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
IMHO the moose handled the situation fairly well. That child could have been severely injured by just falling from the bullīs back.

#274189 - 02/09/15 11:28 PM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Sounds like he isn't rational. As has been said, his fate may already be sealed.

I feel bad for his family and friends.

Hikermor, thanks for your service. I have an M.S. in Animal Ecology but moved over to a more technical field in grad school when many government grants dried up. I always had a secret desire to be a national park ranger - not so much enforcement but more research or service (if there there is such a thing). Too late now as retirement is in sight. Instead I'll just enjoy the outdoors I love so much.

#274190 - 02/10/15 12:02 AM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

My goodness, I thank you. I was actually never officially a park ranger, but was an archaeologist. Actually, many of the folks you see in uniform in a NP are not actually rangers, but may be wild life biologists, geologists, or many other kinds of scientists.

When it hits the fan, your job title means little. You turn off the game on the tube, and go deal with the problem,especially if you have a special skill, aptitude, or training. Keeps one on one's toes.

Actually, you can now distinguish a park ranger (NPS)if that person has a LE commission. They will have a larger badge, and are usually armed. The better ones are also fully informed about the resources of the park and can answer any questions, and will be happy to do so.

Most parks have an able, active volunteer corps. I have been a volunteer at my park (Channel Islands) since I retired, so I am still having fun. Volunteers often do very interesting things, well beyond what visitor would experience.

I am sure your background would be very useful in many, if not most parks. Keeping the critters happy and the ecology shipshape is a major task.

#274191 - 02/10/15 12:42 AM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Sorry folks - I tried a PM, but hikermor's inbox must be full.

@hikermor - Would you recommend the Park Service as a career (since you already experienced that)? My daughter is a recent grad (bachelors degree) in Wildlife and Conservation Biology. She loves the outdoors, and wants to research/teach sustainability. Rocky Mountain would be the closest park, about 50 miles away.

#274192 - 02/10/15 03:24 AM Re: NOT equipped to survive [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Here's a good website to get started: http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/jobsforstudents.htm

Let me try and PM you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 658 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Michael2
Today at 04:38 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.