Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273405 - 12/28/14 04:07 AM How many first aid kits do you keep at home?
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
During my last inventory,I realized that I have three complete first aid kits and two mini kits. I'm spending a fair chunk of change on the kits as the medicines tend to expire before they get used.

I'm giving some serious thought to consolidating the three home kits and storing them, accessible, in the house instead of with the emergency supplies in the garage.

You're thoughts?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273406 - 12/28/14 04:39 AM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
We keep 2 FAK's at home. A heavy duty very large kit that includes latex components and a smaller latex free kit. DW has a serious latex injury. We keep burn kits and other FAK components in the house in an easily accessible drawer.

Edited by wildman800 (12/28/14 04:22 PM)

#273407 - 12/28/14 12:45 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have had the same problem and trying to reduce the amount. The ones I have:

- One very big one for home, but also when going somewhere with a large group. I'm single, so if i'm not home nobody will miss it.
- Small lightweight on + optional small add on kit.
- Medium size add on for my small lightweight one. (additional equipment and quantity)

- Car kit.

#273410 - 12/28/14 02:28 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
One kit to rule them all:

A large kit in the supply cabinet at home feeding smaller kits in the vehicles, camper, and backpacks.

Purchased a variety of very small zip-lock bags in 1" to 6" inch sizes to facilitate this.

I cut out some small colored squares of paper that fit the little bags where I describe the item inside and list the expiration date.

#273413 - 12/28/14 04:02 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
We just keep supplies in their original packaging in a cabinet, and then built kits and take them with us as we need them. I have a small kit in my day bag, but I don't carry that bag much anymore. That kit moves to my hiking backpack when I hike. And we have another small kit in the car.

#273414 - 12/28/14 04:21 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
BTW: we have regular use for gloves so we buy them 4-6 boxes at a time. We only use vinyl or nitrile gloves
. This is because of the latex allergy in the household. I've found that the vinyl and nitrile gloves are much more durable than latex.

#273417 - 12/28/14 08:44 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I keep a box of nitrile mechanics gloves for working with chemicals and automotive repair. They last longer then latex, but still don't tolerate heat well enough for car storage.

I'm going to consolidate the the full kits into a single box and store it inside the house with the OTC medications. Thanks for the advice.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273418 - 12/28/14 08:57 PM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One shelf in our storage closet is devoted to medications and medical supplies. I generally keep the largest FAK in my vehicle since it will likely be accessible there after a major earthquake and other likely events. I have smaller kits in various backpacks, down to the three bandaids which ride in my wallet.

#273422 - 12/29/14 03:04 AM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a large kit with the emergency supplies in the garage, easily accessible from inside the house. A boo-boo kit is in a bathroom. Each car has a small but still pretty comprehensive kit, and I have one more that I carry during outdoors activities.

Trauma kits are kept with the first aid kits but in separate containers (other than the boo-boo kit). Replacing the Combat Gauze when it expires is a painful expense.

Middle Daughter very much enjoys the semi-annual Emergency Supplies Day, where she volunteers to help me go through all the gear and replace anything that's expired.

#273432 - 12/30/14 03:57 AM Re: How many first aid kits do you keep at home? [Re: Mark_R]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a Craftsman tool box holds the house kit... a similarly stocked, but slightly smaller one in a plastic dry box in the car... a dedicated trauma kit with my range bag (similarly stocked with what I carry with pistol bag)

EMT shears have replaced the electrician scissors, and NPA added

Edited by LesSnyder (12/30/14 04:00 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.