Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
What do you all do to protect PJ balls and TinderQuiks from water?

Why the need to protect them from water? smile

Usually the method of carry takes care of any water concerns, zip lock, match safe, pill fob ... duck tape, aluminum foil

I thought PJ balls would be impervious to a dunking until I saw this video. Couple things I thought: 1) maybe he didn't use enough PJ on the cotton ball and 2) he wasn't doing a good job of separating the PJ ball to create those long, thin fibers that take a spark so well.

all you need is fuzz, can be real short fuzz smile but if you've got water in your cotton sponge, it will interfere with flames

See U5pmQj_GD0k ? WetFire and Cotton ball fire starter soaked in water - YouTube
You know what is different? The whole cotton ball gets a coat/shell of petroleum jelly, so it doesn't soak up water like the cottony sponge that it is

See this video at about the 4:45 mark.
That made me chuckle, I didn't know a butane lighter could kill you by exploding laugh

GearWard's Fire Cord seems to do pretty well after being soaked.

Another man made "fatwood" ... needs a bit more work to light with a spark than actual fatwood ... but its $10 for 450 pieces of "waterproof tinder" each burning for 15 seconds .. total 6750 seconds, or 112.5 minutes, or 1.875 hours burn time

compare to dollar store tea light, 16 tealights for $1, 9 grams each, 3-4 hours burn time, tape a cotton ball on top of the tea light and you can light it with a spark

compare to dollar store wax paper, 65-square-foot for $1, about same weight/BTU as 16 tealights, from which tear/roll into 780 individual one inch tubes , torn edges ought to take a spark and ought to burn more than 15 seconds easy ... more BTU than one dollar 4oz vaseline, can carry loose in your pocket, water proof ...
wax paper is universal smile like a crayon laugh