Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
There is a lot of iron in the rocks there... I wonder what would have happened if we were hiking up there and became disoriented (it was a grey day), and only had a map and compass to navigate... The map and compass would have directed us into the heart of the wilderness.

I still prefer map and compass, but in iron country, the handheld GPS and a fist-full of AA's is going back into my pack.

Concur 100%. It is common, and appropriate, to criticize people for relying on a GPS and not knowing how to work a map & compass. However, there really are times when one tool is superior to others. I can work a map & compass pretty dang well but I shamelessly tote (and use) a GPS.

They say that mindset, strategy, and tactics outweigh equipment and it's true. But once I've got the mindset/strategy/tactics down, I want the best equipment I can get for the job.

Originally Posted By: chickenlittle
There are so many small magnets around that are very strong a compass can easily be ruined if you get it too close to one.

That's a good point. I was at a shop looking at some Blackhawk lightweight cargo pants recently and they looked pretty well designed. Then I noticed the flap closures on the pockets used magnets instead of velcro or buttons. BZZZZT! That's a no-go.