Thanks for the head-up LCranston. Great topic, and it deserves more discussion. While I have had no issues over the years with my contacts, I have often thought that in many survival situations it would be best to use my glasses.

The current ebola situation here in the States seems to be leveling off (thankfully!) but on the positive side, it has been a good wakeup call, as I have gotten a little complacent on the "homeland emergency" front. Just yesterday I was thinking about the fact that even if you have contact solution and good handwashing resources, it is always best to not be sticking things in and out of your eyes when a lethal virus is running around. I know, its exceedingly unlikely most of us will have to deal with ebola, but in any sort of "grid down" situation where public health and sanitation become issues, I believe the theme is applicable. Another reason to have good glasses, and spares.

For those who have bought glasses online, how did you manage to check for the frame fit without being able to try them in person? I've always been leery of that but so many have raved about Zinni et al that there must be some way to assure the fit.