Originally Posted By: Arney
With news that both Texas nurses, Pham and Vinson, will be treated at the biocontainment ward at Emory University, it seems like EMU is the place to be if you have Ebola.

I think there are only four facilities in the US equipped to handle patients at level 4 (Max) isolation. I'll try to source this tonight, but it may be if that you need to move patients, EMU is one of few places available with highest-grade isolation.

Quote:

Emory is 3 for 3. I would want to go there if I had Ebola.

I doubt the patients have a choice. Time there probably makes ICU look cheap.

Quote:

Edit: And in testimony before Congress this morning, a top official from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital says there was no hands-on training for the staff for Ebola before Mr Duncan came to their hospital.

There are a lot of hospitals in the US. I'd wonder just how many had such Ebola-specific training prior to Mr. Duncan, especially those not regional facilities.

Quote:

So, all the more reason to transport Ebola patients to facilities that have specifically drilled for just such a situation for years.

Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital is set up to handle three cases at once at Ebola-class isolation, not more. When transferring Nina Pham they specifically stated that the problem was that there might be more cases in the Dallas area and they needed to clear space to be ready, just in case.